Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mollerup Bass photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LM Bass, Jan 29, 2003.

1. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    (NEW PHOTOS ADDED AT THE END OF THIS THREAD)
    :bassist:

Here is a pic of some basses I built a while ago. I'm finally calling all my "kids" home for some family photos. The bass on the right has a canary wood top, the one on the left is chakte kok. I hope to have these and more on my site soon, perhaps I'll ask the owner if I can post his pic with these.
    Cheers,
    Laurence

[​IMG]

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Those look nice. What are the prices?

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Dan. These are sold. They're both one of a kind basses, and I don't know if I can duplicate them. I haven't seen canary wood like this since. Anyhow, this conversation should go to private mail, if you are interested.

Thanks again for the nice comment
    LM

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's the latest:

Burl maple top over cherry. Single Aero type II humbucker with only a passive volume. The fretboard is a lovely piece of figured purpleheart. This is a semi-hollow 28 "fret" fretless. I hope to be able to post its twin soon.
    Laurence (proud papa!)

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's the pic
    [​IMG]

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    :eek: WOW. That bass looks unbelievable! Very nice work.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Laurence.. again, Im impressed!! you have a nice eye for design, man- love the maple/cherry!! you should be very proud..

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Those are some nice looking basses.:bassist:

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Very elegant designs. I like the 'no knob' and 'one knob' look. Quite nice.

10. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Are those Jason's basses up top? I gots to get me some cash together for Lawrence to make me a fretless fiver soon. I have played several of his basses including the lightwave bass he made and his personal 6 string and they are great instruments. Easy on the back and great sounding.

11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Aww. . .
    thanks guys!
    :bawl: :) :cool:

12. But is the bass so big or the guy so small or is it a bit of both. :confused:
    Guitar looks awesome!!!

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    VERY NICE!!!

You make 7 strings?? :D

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Frenske,

Yep, the bass is big and the guy is small. They look more normal on me. The point of the design is to get the neck up in the air a bit, so the left wrist has less strain in the lower positions. Also it makes for a nice "shelf" to rest the right arm on.

Progzilla,
    I'm just starting my first 7-string, should be interesting!

Cheers!
    LM

15. I definitely dig the Burled top bass. I'm a burled maple nut. Beautiful bass.:D

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here is the twin of the above fretless bass:
    Same design, but with a birdseye maple top and no lines.

[​IMG]

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hehe...;)

Well, what can I say Lawrence...Nice work, as usual!

I really dig the bird's eye maple top. Looks great. How was is to carve, especially on the scooped horn? not too muh tear out?

Peace, JP

18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks JP,

It wasn't too bad. I did most of the carve with a scraper, believe it or not. (It was a french curve!) The tear out was minimal. I am now making a 7-string fretted with this same wood. I lucked out and got a big board of it, and it is 10 years old, so it's nice and stable.

LM

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Cool!! If you need a volunteer for BETA testing just let me know.. I'd be happy to oblige!!

:D

20. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Who, me?

I agree with Mark, very elegant. I love the maple body with purpleheart board. I've got some wide flame purpleheart and some nice bird's eye for fingerboards, I should build an inverse LM bass. ;)

Did you have Aero do the inside routing for the covers? Then you basically just do the outside work? Did you send them the wood? I've been wondering about the wood covers.

Meanwhile, Mark (who likes the elegant simplicity) is putting together a bass with 37 knobs and switches. I got the Roland, BTW. Looks interesting.