Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mollerup Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LM Bass, Nov 4, 2002.

1. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]
    Here is the latest bass I've made. I will post some more pics soon.

It has a burl maple over cherry wood body, with a 5-piece maple and purpleheart neck. The fingerboard is pau ferro, and it has 28 frets. The bass has a single Aero humbucker, and is wired straight to the output jack.

This one is already sold, I just want to share my pics with y'all.

Laurence

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Wow! looks nice... but I would at least want a volume pot On my bass.. To each his own

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Smash,

Sorry I forgot about Java with you guys! I will have some free time again in about 2 weeks. Busy getting a new show up and running.

Chris wanted this one "bare wire" with no controls. I like to have a volume on my bass.

Laurence

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's a closeup of the wood-covered Aero pickup:
    [​IMG]

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Awesome bass Laurence....
    Please show us the back view!

Now that you're done with this one, It's time to build your own fingerboard radisusing jig ! :D

Peace, JP

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great looking bass!!!

do you have pic of the headstock design?

flat? tilted bak?

thanks!!!

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yummmmm...

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Wow. I am speechless. THat bass is amazing. What are the specs?

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    The headstock tilts back a bit, but is shallower than some I've done before. The nut is half brass and half purpleheart.

10. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    thats an amazing looking body, it's not really the shape or anything that draws me, but it's that AMAZING piece of wood, it kind of draws the attention right to the fingerboard/body meeting, very nice finish and figuring there! I love the pickup covers too.

However, the headstock looks weird :) But I love your decal, alot more stylish (and well placed) than most basses lol

btw, whats the advantage of 28 frets, I've been seeing the options for this more and more, I don't really know about it though? Is there any advantage besides more frets for soloing?

anyways, keep it up, if your basses sound as good as they look, I may just have to start saving up :)

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Lawrence- that is absolutely gorgeous!!!
    i love the body design- and the top and matching pup- just fantastic- man, that is FINE!!!

12. Pretty nifty, Laurence. You gotta hand it to Chris, he's keeping the local luthiers busy. Do you know anything about the "Mollrup Bass" in the recent Buy & Sell issue?

[Later Edited - Just read that the bass was made for Chris Trinidad and not Chris Tarry (whom I was referring to above)- I should stop jumping to conclusions.]

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Xavier,

I think that might be this one:
    [​IMG]

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    It's an Alder bodied, 35" scale, "Work" bass with Aero Jazz pickups. If it's in good shape that's a good deal. I don't know about the nut though, why would someone convert to left-handed playing? Maybe he was trying to sell it to someone. . .

15. LM,

That's it! I had to satisfy my curiosity so I went to look at it after emailing you last night. Can I take it to you for nut replacement and setup?

X

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Most of the specs for the burl bass are now online at the owner's site. Thanks again for the comments!
    Iridium records

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Xavier,

You were close. Tarry has an electric upright on order. Trinidad studied with Tarry at Cap.

Small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it. . .:D

18. That is an incredibly nice instrument, Laurence. Keep up the great work! :)

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Laurence,
    got your email- thank you so much!
    i will be in touch... that bass remains outstanding.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    LM, that is a sweet bass.