Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Monitors needed!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What would you guys recommend? I actually need advice for two sets. One, fairly high end set and one lower cost (300$-600$) set that would be used for rough mixes etc.

2. I bought two naddy PFW12 peak power of 400 watts they sound pretty good. Only 100.00 each new.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I use Tannoy Reveal actives, you could probably find them for about $700 or so, I think they are decent, any significantly better and you'd have to pay much more.

IMHO, there's a lot of personal opinions and mumbo-jumbo involved when people discuss monitors, when the main important factor really is to learn how your monitors' sound translates to your stereo, car or pc speakers. Just buy monitors that are detailed and have a reasonably flat frequency response, and stay with them for long enough to learn how they present your mix.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

True! I've narrowed it down to a few pairs each of Tannoy and Event.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use Studiophile SP8's, and I like them a lot. I would have bought a pair of the Yamaha MSP10's, but the Studiophiles were about 50% cheaper. I agree completely with Anders about the subjective nature of monitor assessments. Ask 10 different people, get 15 different answers.

6. axman...

Blisshead was asking for opinions on studio/mix style monitors rather than floor/stage monitors. I was kornfuzed at first too..

Hey Blisshead -

Our guitar player bought a used set of powered Alesis, I think they're called M1's, and they sound fantastic for the money. I'm sure they do not compare to the real high budget stuff, but they would probably be great for rough mixes. And easy to pick up new or used, for very little salad.

B

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My drummer has a pair of Event 20/20bas that sound great. I've also used the Tannoy Reveal actives, and was very pleased with them.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm leaning towards the 2020's. The get phenominal reviews from everyone. I understrand the subjectivity involved, but I'm taking a small chance either way so I try these first. (I can always return them!)

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Subjectivity implied, but I got to A/B the Studiophiles against the entire event line, and to my ears they murdered every single one of them. YMMV.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, a few people have said that now. The Studiophiles are powered right? I wonder how much the amp has to do with it? I think I'll call around and see if someone (store or studio) can set that up for me. Thanks, that will be the kicker.

11. So yeah, they cost a little more, but you owe it yourself to listen to the Mackie HR824s.

They're basically knockoffs of the Genelec 1030 (or whatever the model is, I forget...). They don't have the very fine resolution of the Genelecs, but they come stupidly close at a fraction of the price, and they absolutely rip the pants off of any other monitor in their price range.

--jeff

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I keep hearing that the Behringer Truths are an exact rip-off of these speakers. I need to hear them both.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I got a pair of Spirit Absolute 2's for quite cheap. I like them, they are very nice to work with. Clean sound all the way, great bass response, good stereo imaging, and they have a sound very comfortable for my ears. On the downside is size (they're pretty big and bulky) and the fact that they might be slightly more "polite" than other monitors... but that only makes them nicer to listen to. I'd say try them if you can.

EDIT: spelling/grammar

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will look for them. I haven't come across them locally yet though.

15. I've never heard the Behringers...

I had the opportunity, however, to listen to the Mackies and a pair of Genelecs A/B'd in a studio. The Genelecs cost MUCH more, and I do understand why people pony up for them - but the Mackie's give you 95% of that for much less. Where the Genelecs really kill the Mackies is when you crank them - the Mackies get harsh and compressed, but we're talking well over 100db here, and you should be doing all your work in the 80's for the ol' logarithmic hearing response :)

--jeff

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

So that isn't much of a factor then. Good to know, thanks!

17. The Mackie HR824s really are spectacular for the price. I think one would be insane not to at least give them a listen if you're shopping for ANY monitors in ANY price range... price may not always be an issue, but the Mackies deliver truely awesome value.

--jeff

18. Another vote for the Mackie HR824. Just picked up a set on the weekend, they rilly are incredible. A/Bed them with the Event 20/20bas and the Mackies clearly won out. Smooth response, no bumps and they go very deep while the 20/20s had a noticeable bump in the mid-low range and another in the treble range somewhere. They seemed to go as deep but somehow hollow in the low end. The Mackies just seemed to do everything better with no discernible colouration. I can hardly wait to use them in a mixing session on Wednesday.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Went with the Studiophiles, the Mackies are too much for me right now, though they sound incredible. I am very happy with the Studiophile sound.

20. Suh-WEET!!

ummmm.... can I borrow them for a few years??

What are you recording / monitoring?