Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MP3 - a Christmas Present for you! :)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

I've just posted a new MP3 of Jez Carr and I onto my website - you can get to it via the 'updates' or 'MP3s' links on the home page. The track is another improv, recorded in the same way as the 'Conversations' album but without any looping. It's about 5.3Meg, and is a Christmas pressie from Jez and I to anyone who cares to download it... Hope you enjoy it, and have a great Christmas...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Steve, I downloaded Beauty and the Beast. Very nice.!:)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's a nice fretless sound there! What strings were you using, out of interest?

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Moley,

glad you like the sound - the strings are Bass Centre Elites Flatwounds - if you're interested, phone the shop and ask for Nick - 020 7265 1567 :D

If you want a 6 string set, there's a bit of a wait, but 4s and 5s are doable... I'm looking into selling the 6 string sets direct... possibly... ;)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
  6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow. For some reason they didn't sound like flats to me. They don't sound like my TI Jazz flats, anyway :) Listening back again, I suppose they do sound like flats. You got a really nice mwah, and really nice vibrato there.

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Chris - glad you like it! Hope to see you at NAMM in January! :)

Moley - thanks again! The other main factors in the tone I guess are the set up, and the bass itself - the semi-hollow-ness of it makes it resonate in a slightly different way... Recording wise, this was bass into a Behringer desk, into ProTools, no really EQing or anything else. Just reverb added...

Those Elites flats are lovely though... :D

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Beautiful work as always, Steve! :)

Hope you, Michael, and everyone at TB have a joyous holiday. :)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steph,

really glad you like it - and hope you have a great Christmas too...

what's the latest on your teacher/solobass/world domination situation? :D

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    You know, I haven't had a bass lesson in a couple week! :eek: I've been sick and my teacher called off sick last week so hopefully I will have a lesson Tuesday b/c then the next week is Christmas Eve. And let me say this (and hoping my teacher doesn't read this board LOL): He is insane! :D You know one thing he gave me to do at my last lesson (that I'm still working on)? I have to transcribe the bass part to the first 7:50 of Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"! :eek: This has showed me I reallllly need to work on my ear training. At least I've had these couple weeks to work on it. Funny tho, it's a string orchestra with upright bass and I swear I hear two basses in it :confused:

My writing has been ok. Just finished a nice piece I'm happy with. Lots of harmonics in it and very spacious. I just started a new song. Still can't seem to get the songs past the 2-3 minute mark LOL but oh well.

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Ahem :rolleyes:

Thank you very much Steve! I have many nice broadband-friendly mp3s I can send you if you like ;)

Have a nice Christmas yourself, are you doing 'the family thang'?

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    yeah, just email them to me, just make sure they are at least 10Meg, so the clog up my email for at least an hour... :D

Nice quiet christmas - bits of teaching, some practice, nothing big. Just getting ready for the US tour! :)

see you in the New Year

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (MP3 here - a christmas present from Steve and Jez)
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk (CDs available here as Christmas presents from me to you in exchange for an £11 Christmas present from you to me... :D )

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    US tour, sounds exciting, tell us more!

I have so much going on moosically at the mo too... all very promising, but I guess it's always like that to some degree isn't it... the entire bleedin industry is all mouth & no trousers :D

I've been teaching my housemate a few scales recently. He a listener with really wide tastes - from nu metal to classical (literally) and he just wanted to understand a bit more about music - which I think is a really a good motivation for learning.
    It was weird teaching him something I learnt less than a year ago, but I find the basics really easy to explain.

I want another lesson soon actually - I've been saying that for months!!, but I'm still working on the basics from the start of this year...

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    just that - lots of dates in the States! :D - some are completely solo (gigs, shop clinics, college masterclasses and anywhere else that will have me!), some are gigs with Michael Manring, some are gigs with Andre LaFosse and Rick Walker, and one is the Winter NAMM Bass Bash with me and Michael, Mike Dimin, Watt, Victor Bailey, Dave Pomeroy, Keith Horne, Trip Wamsley, Todd Johnson and a million other bass players, which promises to be the best after hours bash NAMM has seen in years! :)

I fly out there on the 12th, and am home again on Feb 9th, and it's pretty packed in between. So if you want a lesson before I go, better get it booked in now! :D

have a fab Christmas

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk
    www.solobassnetwork.org.uk

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

I've just posted another exclusive MP3 to my site, this time it's a version of Highway 1, with a keyboard player called Patrick Wood (who's very good...) - it's on the MP3s page at my site as always - lemme know what you think!

happy new year!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I really enjoyed the new take on Highway 1 - hearing the music recreated in different performances, with different people involved, gives a good perspective on the song as well as just the bass playing.

Cheers,

Wulf

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks Wulf - one of the things I really wish I had a recording of is Gary Husband's impromptu solo piano arrangements of 'The Inner Game' and 'MMFSOG' - he just started playing them in the dressing room at one of the Level 42 gigs, and it really took me by surprise to hear the tunes in a new context! :) Maybe I'll ask him to put them into MP3s so we can all have a listen! LOL

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (MP3s here, loads of 'em!)

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Sooo, I guess this Jez guy must be real good looking right? ;)

Just listening to the track 'properly' - I know better than to ask, but is that 100% fully improvised?!!

Bits of it remind me of all sorts of stuff, so what's in there somewhere and some generic pink floyd type chords...

It's a whole abundance of melodies used up in one track!!! - that's a whole century of pop idol in there ;)

...anyway, it's bluddy great, i love it :) job's a goodun as they say..

19. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It is fully improvised - there may be quotes in there, and will certainly be things that are stylistically fairly straight down the middle - stuff that sounds 'jazzy', 'modal', whatever... Neither of us were consciously quoting from other tunes that I'm aware of, though any track at that kind of tempo with a minor/dorian walking line and floaty piano chords voiced in fourths is going to sound a bit 'So What'ish... :)

Which kind of gets to the nub of what improv is all about - it's not about playing things that have never been played before, in the same way that conversation is not about making up words... :) - it's more to do with listening and reacting to a situation, playing things that are 'right' for the moment, are reflective/directive/sympathetic to the rest of the musicians.

For jez and I, it's normally just a matter of one of us hitting a chord, or a simple motif off the tops of our heads, the other one joining in and then seeing where it goes!

Really glad you're enjoying it...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :confused: