Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MPG Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Just got my brand new Matt Pulcinella bass. I'm posting my first pic, so if this doesn't work be patient -- I'll figure it out (I hope)...

Specs:

Bubinga/Wenge/Mahogany body
    Pau Ferro fingerboard
    Maple neck w. two carbon fiber laminates
    Basslines Soapbars
    Aguilar OPB-3 (mid @ 250hz)
    Hipshot Type A brass bridge
    Hipshot Ultralight tuners

Thanks for looking
    :D

-Aram

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Here's another slightly different pic. The pictures don't really do the top any justice. In person it's the nicest Bubinga I've ever seen!

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Man that's looks fantastic! How does it play man? we need some soundclips and a review!:D

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

looks really nice...love the bubinga.

congrats

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks nice man. Cool bass.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys! Sorry the pics are so big...i'm bad at photoshop.

I will definitely post a full review after I put some more mileage on it, but preliminarily, this bass is perfect! It plays very easily thanks to its wide spacing and low action, and it sounds terrific (both unplugged and amplified). I can't believe how loud and resonant it is without an amp...chords just ring out like a keyboard. And plugged in I'm amazed at how many different tones I can get from the Basslines/Aguilar setup...and they're ALL usable -- even with extreme settings!

I'm going to give it a workout this weekend when I have more time, and then I'll post the detailed writeup it deserves.

er...soundclips....not sure my computer can handle them, but I'll see what I can do :D

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That looks really sweet.

8. Beauiful! I've always really liked Matt's work, and it's interesting to see how he's refining it with the graphite neck spars and tilt-back headstocks.

Mike

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    [​IMG]

Here ya go. VERY nice bass!

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    *Very* nice bass. I particularly like the figuring in the bubinga top. Also, it's a tad more understated than some of the basses you see around, while still being visually striking. I personally like that a lot.

Congratulations!

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Here's another pic from Matt's site. This shows the color better than my pics (mine look reddish, which is inaccurate).

I will post a full review soon, but I want to try it out with my full rig in a band setting. Hopefully that will happen this weekend.

:cool:

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    By the way, thanks everyone for your nice comments. If anyone's in or around Manhattan and wants to check it out, please let me know.

I will also try to get some sound clips soon (as soon as my chops get a little less embarrassing :bawl: )

-AC

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I may take you up on that one day (I live in Westchester but work in Manhattan). In exchange, you can try out my matching Jon Shuker 6s, which I'm expecting either today or tomorrow.:bassist:

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That sounds great Richard -- I look forward to it! PM me when you get the Shuker and you have it with you in the city, and I'll bring mine.

I can meet you on a break or after work depending on where you're at (I'm downtown across from WTC).

Peace,
    Aram

16. Aram,
    IS that a tilt-back headstock? If so, that's a good step forward for Matt. I have always wanted to try one of his basses. I like the Level basses better than the J basses. There are enough J clones out there already.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very nice bass - i like how the board and the top sorta match. looks very good.

18. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys -- that is a tiltback headstock...I think this is the second one he's made that way. I'm really pleased with how the FB blends with the top too -- I hadn't seen a picture of it so as it was being made, I wasn't sure whether it would contrast or complement the bubinga.

If you can track one down, definitely give it a whirl...I really like his basses, and he doesn't charge a lot (compartively speaking). JT, I think Matt has even made 7-strings...though I know you're a Conklin man...

-AC