Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MTD 535-24 "C"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Just got it Friday. Gigged with it Friday night. Truly amazing bass. The pics don't do the grain justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From my website:

This MTD 535 has a "C" designation as it is tuned E A D G C rather than B E A D G. It was "born" on July 14, 2004. It has an Ash Body with a "Rose of the Mountain" top. The neck is Ash and the fretboard is nicely figured Maple. It has a matching truss rod cover, headstock and neck dots made from the "Rose of the Mountain". The heartwood of the "Rose of the Mountain" is an auburn color while the sapwood is the light, maple color. It is a truly stunning bass. It is, as always, strung with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds.

The sound of this bass is truly wonderful. It is absolutely the finest sounding bass I have ever played. The notes jump off the bass, yet are as clear as a bell. With many of the multi voice arrangements and looping that I do, I have never heard each note as clearly and evenly balanced as I do with this bass. I am so gald that Mike Tobias talked me into getting the ash neck and maple board. I was really against that combination at first, but Mike's expertise and sensitivity to my performance needs came through brilliantly.

Mike Dimin

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Sweet :) We finally get to see the bois de rose in it's completion ;) I like it!! I'm glad it worked out beautifully for you as well :)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice bass, Mike

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    If it plays half as good as it looks it'd be a great bass.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Any possibility of you posting a few samples for us to hear?

Just beautiful. If it SOUNDS like it looks, well, words escape me... Congratulaitons!!

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That's beautiful. And I'm usually not a fan of heartwood/sapwood basses.

Glad you're so happy with the sound. It must be a leap of faith having a custom instrument made.

Any indication what "rose of the mountain" is?

Edit: found it: Brownea Rosa-de-monte

7. Nice Mike!
    Looks terrific, one little thing, I would have ask for pickups cover!
    But It's just my tastes and it's a lot of $$$$!!!

But you're lucky. ;)
    Vince

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Very nice. I'm curious to hear how an ash-necked MTD sounds... I'd love to hear some soundclips.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A beautiful bass indeed!

10. Hey Mike - does this mean that you'll be selling your 435? If so, I'm interested :p

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Damn Dimin, that is a MIGHTY FINE looking MTD. I'd have to say that's close to my favorite 535 of all time.

Congrats on the gem!!

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks guys. It does sound wonderful. I'll try to record some clips in the next few days. I knew going in that if I did not like it, Mike T would have sold it elsewhere and built me a different one. There is no shortage of demand for an American MTD

Mike said that The Rose of The Mountain was very difficult to work with, in fact the first body broke into three pieces. But he is so impressed with the sound that he is getting some more. He also made a fretboard of the Rose of the Mountain for a "throw away" guitar just to see how it sounded. He said it makes a wonderfuol fretboard as well and he has some regret not using it for mine (but, of course, he didn't know, at the time, it would sound so good).

The ash neck has a reputation for being very aggresive sounding - great for rock, etc. I find with my extremely light touch that the bass has a balance, clarity and responsiveness I have not felt before.

BTW, I will not be selling my 435 :D

Mike

13. Beautiful bass, another of Mike's Masterpieces.

Lots of success and pleasure with it.

Aloha,

Jonathan

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks, Jonathan.

Here are some clips. They are mp3's at a bit rate of 64kbps. They were recorded live. The MTD 535 went directly into my Boomerang Phrase sampler then into my EA iamp500 and out the DI into my sound card (M-Audio Audiophile USB). I have 30 and 60 second clips of "Valdez in the Country" by Donny Hathaway.

www.michaeldimin.com/valdez.mp3 - 60 seconds (429 k)
    www.michaeldimin.com/valdez30.mp3 - 30 seconds (235 k)

Mike

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The links are not working... BUT, I will say, that is one gorgeous bass... I've seen a quite a few pics of different MTD's recently, that really have me gassing for one.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Should be working now, sorry

Mike

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sounds every bit as good as it looks, Mike! Interestingly, as good as it may sound, I just cant get over the look of that bass.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for quite some time.

18. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Congrats for the beautiful playing. The bass has a nice crisp, clear and focused tone!

19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's a beauty Mike. Hope you enjoy it for a long long time.

20. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Nice clips - thanks.