Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW MTD BASS AT 2007 SUMMER NAMM!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bottomzone, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Check out Michael Tobias talking about and Andrew Gouche playing a yet-to-be-released MTD bass! Be sure to click on the Summer NAMM 2007 window at the bottom and then the links for MTD, MTD:Andrew Gouche and Epifani:Andrew Gouche.

http://bassplayer.tv/index.html?req=1&station=bpgear

Drool on, MTD fanatics!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

2. saw those vids earlier today.

andrew gouche + mtd = absolutely sensational music to my ears

3. Register_To_Disable

4. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Man I love the new "jazz bass" MTD! I gotta have one :bassist:

That's why I think Mike Tobias is one if not the best luthier in the world: always developping new ideas, instead of sticking to what's he's known for (modern)...

5. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I just finished watching the MTD videos-again! While I am not an MTD or a Jazz man, I must say that in the hands of masterful players like Andrew and Norm Stockton, MTD's sing. Jason "Vision" Phelps knows how to work it, too! I have a feeling that Michael is going to be very busy filling orders for that new bass!!!

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Is it just me or did Mr. Tobias not seem very, ah, enthusiastic about the new jazz-style bass? (I noticed he tried very hard NOT to say jazz, fender, or otherwise.)

It does look like a sweet bass, though! A 435 is still near the top of my "dream bass" list.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1, though it really doesn't do much for me either. But Andrew sure makes it sound good, as I'm sure every other bass he touches.

8. I dare anyone to make a fretless 6 with a maple fingerboard at a price someone like the majority of us can afford. The chambereds would be nice...but ain't got a few K layin' around.

9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think its that he wasnt enthusiastic about the jazz, i think its defintely that he was trying hard not to drop the words Fender or Jazz or anything like that. He wants it to remain purely as an MTD take on a more traditional style rather than a fender-copy.

10. Well, Mr. Tobias has been asked before why he doesnt build Jazz style basses. His response is "everybody else builds them"
    Yeah, I dont think I would buy one.
    So, he has tried to stay with his own designs and styles.
    From what it look like in the Andrew Gouche video - it looks like a Z5 in a new color. Cant tell. Im hoping that the next Z5s will come in more colors and tops!

11. i was hoping it was a z instead of a USA mtd.

man, those videos gave me serious gas!

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Mike TObias always comes across as such a nice guy and doesn't "promote" his products like he could - ie he always seems very honest in his assessment about them and treats them like tools and not some mythical object. I can understand why everyone loves him.

Any suggestions for the name for the new bass?

13. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Man that Epifani video with Andrew Gouche is sick...:bawl:

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Having never owned an MTD bass but having played several AND being a die-hard jazz bass fanatic... Well, suffice it to say that I'm very excited for this. I doubt I'll be able to afford one, but it truly looks like an amazing jazz bass. It'll be very interesting to see how it stacks up to other boutique jazz type instruments (i.e. Sadowsky, Lakland, Alleva, Lull, etc.)

I'm also going to second the notion that Michael Tobias always comes across as a very neutral, laid back, and ultimately very cool person. He doesn't force his products down people's throats, but rather allows his reputation and his products to do that for him. I actually got the same impression from Greg Curbow on the few occasions I was fortunate enough to talk with him.

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I concur!!! Mike seems very genuine, unpretentious and humble. As far as a name for the bass, how about the Infiltrator?:D

16. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    He spoke about having them MADE in the United States and cut-out by a CNC saw. My impression was that he was looking at a lower price point than his regular custom basses. Perhaps a price point somewhere between the Z and MTD USA. Isn't everyone from Carey Nordstrand to Benavente and Skjold coming out with a lower price point trad jazz. That's where the demand seems to be.

Sounds good to me!

17. I fail to see whats new. Its basically like the old MTD Saratoga except possibly cut in the US with Barto electronics.

18. ?? The body on this is completely different - the only thing that is similar to the Saratoga is the 2 - J pups. The Saratoga has the traditional MTD body style.
    Saratoga has Bart pups and electronics as well as the same hardware as the US basses.

19. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    what a great vid
    1:25-1:36 = awesome!
    the chord progression was heavenly - andrew gouche really does have great feel :cool: :cool:

20. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im with you... he isnt thrilled... but he is smart and realizes there is a need.

On that subject. I once spoke on the phone with a very prominent custom guy and mentioned that I wanted another luthier friend of mine to build some affordable "jazz like" custom basses because I thought the need was there. He adamantly said it would be a bad idea and that the custom market shouldnt be watered down like that... 3 months later, this guy is putting out "jazz like" basses. My last few custom jobs go for that "jazz like" look.

So, my point is. People buy them... therefore the builders make them... its not a matter of wanting to, or liking it... its smart business.

21. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    In the MTD vids Bob Lee shot you can see the necks for these basses a few times if you pay attention....