Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW MTD Kingston 5 (Active)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Tim Cole, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I bought this NEW, and it has less than an hour's play time on it. I mainly got it to check out, and do a review on, which will be coming soon! This is one of the new active models, which is a tremendous improvement over the older passive models. I haven't had a chance to take any pics yet, but it is the amber color, with maple/maple board. Best bass to be had for the money, bar none! One of the best necks in the business. This one also has a FLAMED MAPLE fingerboard, which is quite rare M. Tobias tells me. Only selling to upgrade my 435 to either one of the same with a different wood combo, or a 535. Will trade both for the right one.

Asking $425 shipped in the lower 48

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Got pics?

Ray

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]This is taken from the basscentral site, as I don't have any pics yet. Identical bass, with the exception of the flame maple board. I don't have a case or bag for this, but it will be shipped in it's original packing. I want to stress, this bass is NEW. It still has all the plastic coverings on it as well.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, MM in the bridge (alone) isn't my thing, sorry man, thanks though!

Ray

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    bump

6. asonepraise

asonepraise

Aug 20, 2004
    Hey Tim,

I'd like to hear your opinion regarding the tone of this instrument (the Kingston), and how you feel it compares to a Lakland 55-01.
    Is this bass good for contemporary R & B or gospel, or is it better suited for rock or metal? Thanks!

Aaron

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Aaron, I really think it sounds a LOT like a Stingray, which IMO is quite versatile from anything from R&B, country, rock, metal......name it. It does have a particular voicing that obviously wont be for everyone, but I think it sounds great! I know the Lakland Skyline series are quite nice instruments, althought I haven't checked out a 55-01. While the Laklands I have tried have been very nice, no one touches Mike's neck design for overall comfort, and great feel.

PS, this is now SOLD to the crazy Aussie! Thanks all for the interest!

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    PM sent !

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Did you happen to read the line where he said this was sold? :eyebrow: you've been here long enough to know to read before posting!!

Ray

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Excuse me !

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :p I guess this once we can excuse you.

Ray:D