New MTD Kingston five string for $300.00. Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TGBlack, Feb 8, 2003.

1. TGBlack

Jun 28, 2002
    Traverse City, Mi
    I have the opportunity to pick up a new MTD Kingston 5-string for $300.00. I've read through many of the threads lauding the MTD Kingston line, in particular the quality of the B stringon the fiver. Guess I just need reassurance from the pros on the board that this is a good buy. Thanks.
  2. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    That's a great price even used. What are you waiting for?
  3. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    I had to pay $420 for mine brand new and that was the best price I could find. Will you tell me who you're buying from? I'd like to buy my next bass from them. And as for how good the Kingston is...well I don't really know how tight a B string is supposed to be, since I've only played a few fivers my whole life. But it's got a B that doesn't bounce around without a lot of attack on it, and won't flop at all if you play near the bridge. It's way ahead of an ibanez soundgear 5 I played a few days ago in terms of the B string. The sound is nice and warm. It's not too bright or deep, it sounds pretty much mid. Kingston 5's are great. The only gripe I have is that you have to take off the neck to get to the truss rod. I think I might have already stripped one of the screws in back taking it off(it wouldn't screw back in right). Go buy it already!
  4. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Maybe you have an older model or something, but I can access the truss rod on my Kingston 5 Fretless by removing the pickguard.
  5. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    No I have a 2002 model. I'll try that next time but if I remember right this summer I had to take off the pickguard and the neck.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Do they have any more at that price? PM me their # or link!
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Judging by how people are drooling, I'd say so!
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    300$ Where is that at? that is a great deal....

you need to get it now, and ship it to me!

9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i got my fretless 4 Kingston new for $300 and i thought That was a good deal !