NEW MUSE ALbum: The Resistance!!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kaputsport, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    The New Muse album will be released on September 15th in the US.

THE RESISTANCE

UPRISING
    RESISTANCE
    UNDISCLOSED DESIRES
    UNITED STATES OF EURASIA (+Collateral Damage)
    GUIDING LIGHT
    UNNATURAL SELECTION
    MK ULTRA
    I BELONG TO YOU (+Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix)
    EXOGENESIS : SYMPHONY PART I (Overture)
    EXOGENESIS : SYMPHONY PART II (Cross Pollination)
    EXOGENESIS : SYMPHONY PART III (Redemption)

"The Resistance" first single "Uprising" is availble on iTunes now.

here is the album art...

Just thought I would let the masses know.

BTW, after buying Uprising, download "United States of Eurasia here:

http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2009/07/21/new-muse-united-states-of-eurasia/

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Interesting. Got to say that album cover is awesome looking.

3. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I just noticed another thread with the listing, but I provided links to some downloads, so I'll keep it open, unless the mods want to merge the two.

4. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    The place should be able to handle two threads on Muse, unless there is some rule on similar threads that I don't know about.

5. No worries, Kaput! One can never have too much MUSE, particularly if said one is a MUSE junkie. ;)

Besides, your thread is more updated than mine. I will resign mine to deletion.

I am just bubbling over with excitement here. :hyper: Uprising and USoE+CD are both brilliant, and now I've got a whole month to wait to hear anything else.

By the way, interesting factoid: Matthew Bellamy composed the end titles theme to The International. That sounds pretty cool too.

6. 330 seconds of The Resistance is now available for listening on iTunes. It sounds like it is going to be a fantastic album, a bit of a departure for them, but still amazing. Exogenesis taken together...wow.

7. awesome! can't wait.

8. And for those without iTunes...

9. Really? No one has any comment? Negative or positive? I'll even take apathy at this point.

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    It sounds like Muse-- overwrought, stellar production, good hooks, but nothing that's made me go "Ah ha!"

Just like the rest of their catalog that I've been exposed to.

11. Interesting that you use the term "overwrought." I've read JMJ use the term to describe their music, though I don't quite understand it in that context. Could you explain?

12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't know... I love everything else by Muse, big fan, but this stuff just doesn't seem to be doing it for me. I love their over-the-top production and pretentiousness, but this is maybe just taking even that one step too far? Can't say I heard a single track in any of those previews that really interested me. And a bunch of those sounded rather close (ripoff) of some of their old material :\

Listened to the full version of United States of Eurasia (I believe it's called) as well... Meh. Song doesn't seem fleshed out at all. Some good parts, but feels very incomplete. And the lyrics... Terrible. I love good strong political lyrics, but the lyrics on that song really just seem to fall flat, feels way too overly simplistic/almost juvenile, and that feel just doesn't fit the song in the slightest.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm really looking forward to this album much... Maybe their next one.

-Dash

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Not a problem:

Whenever I've listened to Muse, which happens on a slightly-less-than-regular basis, I've always gotten the impression that they're trying really, really, hard to be epic, grandiose, larger-than-life, etc.

They get compared to Radiohead a lot, a comparison that, I think, is more applicable in their early work, but one thing both bands strive for is that larger than life feeling. When Radiohead hits a chord, it sounds interstellar--The opening D in The Bends, for instance. That is not just a D chord, if you catch my drift.

Another band Muse gets compared to who achieve the same effect quite often is Queen. Again, when those guys get into it, it just sounds anthemic.

Well, you say, Muse do the same thing.

And you're not wrong.

But with Muse, it doesn't sound natural, and it doesn't sound like it just came out of the ether. It sounds like they're trying with all their ability (which is considerable, I'm not going to knock them at all) to make you, the listener, feel like "Hey, this is the big anthemic chorus, I should feel elated and overjoyed right now." It sounds like they're working, and it sounds like they've just added way too much "stuff" to their songs because they don't think they can stand on their own.

Put another way:

You can play Karma Police on a beat up acoustic guitar and still get the feeling of the song across.

Likewise with We Are The Champions (check that out here: --it's awesome.)

I don't think a Muse song would translate the same way. Hence, overwrought, or "excessively ornate."

14. Hmm...you know, I think I see your point. However, I see the fact that they are pouring their souls into trying to make the best atmosphere for the listener as a plus, and I am drawn to music where the artist is pouring himself/herself into the song. Sometimes it can sound ever slightly so cheesy (I'm looking at you, United States of Eurasia), but other times it sweeps me off my feet (Space Dementia, Apocalypse Please.) It is one of the things I like about them, admittedly, even when it ends up being a tad unnatural sounding.

As for the comparisons, some of Showbiz and Screenager off of OoS specifically deserved the Radiohead comparisons. Apart from them, it's an unfair comparison.

All three members of MUSE have repeatedly admitted to admiring Queen in the past. There's a clip on YouTube where they meet Brian May after receiving an award, and Dom looks like he's in a trance. I don't think the influence really started showing its colors until this latest album, though it has been subtly present throughout their discography. And that's certainly not a bad thing, especially since they've never really gotten to the point of plagiarizing anyone. They always add their own twist, and make it their own in a way that differs enough from the comparative material to be considered apart.

Impromptu essay terminated. :smug:

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    For the record, I'm not suggesting that bands/artists shouldn't put everything they've got into their music, I just don't think Muse have really hit that point where the difficult sounds easy(and vice versa), and that is, in my eyes, what separates them from a band like Tool, who I adore.

On the other hand... Muse do play in more than one key. So, you know, its personal all taste anyway.

I would like to catch them live, at some point, though, if the ticket prices aren't too ridiculous.

On topic: Why the hell are there so many "disco" beats in these samples???

16. I assume you're talking about Undisclosed Desires. If so, that is a song they talked about wanting to experiment with electronica-oriented material for, a la Depeche Mode.

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I for one am digging it big time!
    About two years ago they said this new album was going to have an electronica direction that they started getting from 'Map' and 'Knights' off their last album.

Deluge, I think you really need to see a live show of theirs. If you don't think the difficult sounds easy, they make it look like cake walk.

18. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Well, the album has leaked... So now you can check out this incredible masterpiece...

19. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    I have been bouncing this album around in my head for the past 2 days, and I have to say the samples suck...

There are so many twists in the music, and surprises...

After Uprising, the album gets a little slow and somber for me... It picks up around track 6, with the departure from the somber mood in USoE.

Exogenesis is pretty cool, though I feel that Bellamy should right a real symphony, and make an attempt to do a whole album which is the symphony. It is good, but because it is short, it feels forced...

Overall, I am loving this new album. it is a departure from the typical power and sonic abuse you get. More polished and mature... Part of me wants to see them back to being immature and writing Absolution Part II, but part of me likes this change.

20. Immature?

We already have one misused ambiguous buzzword in this thread, we don't need another.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021