NEW MUSE ALbum: The Resistance!!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kaputsport, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    How is that misused? Listen to Showbiz, or OOS... Their sound and writing is not on the same level of Absolution or BHaR.

I would say they were immature. Seeing as how OOS was recorded over a year, at three different sessions, written mostly on mushrooms...

2. Could you define "immature" for me?

3. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Personally I find a lot to love about all of Muse's albums, and I wouldn't say I find anything particular immature - all bands evolve over time, and that's all it is. One can say the same thing about U2's early albums, which were fantastic.

One thing I will say about this album is that I really wish there was a little more to grab onto - Uprising is a fantastic and catchy song, and there are a few others that are equally good, though maybe not quite as catchy, such as MK Ultra, and I absolutely love Undisclosed Desires -- as soon as I heard the opening salvo I was like "Holy Crap its Muse channeling Depeche Mode, how awesome is that??!".

But as for the bulk of the album, I do find it a bit bipolar -- lots of symphonic and piano-driven ballads (which they've always done, but perhaps not to this extent), but not quite enough of the really grabbing stuff they are known for.

One thing I will say is that listening to this album makes me appreciate just how genuine these guys are in their craft. I'm sure it wasn't lost on them that they weren't putting out an album full of radio singles, but they made a conscious decision to put out the album that they wanted instead of the album that would make them a ton of money. Thinking about that makes the radio-friendly songs all the more satisfying, IMO.

Much to love here, definitely. And did anyone else think that Exogenesis Part 1 sounded like the sound track to Final Fantasy 7 a bit?

4. Actually, I have to say it reminded me a bit of The Beginning is the End is the Beginning by the Smumpkins.

Favorite song? Hard to say right now. I'm currently feeling I Belong to You, MK Ultra and Resistance. Exogenesis I'm going to have to wait to come back to, as I didn't have nearly the reaction I should have had for other reasons.

5. Wow, this is a great album. Definitely their best overall album in the pop department, MK Ultra really shines through. Album of the year, no question.

And I think this is the first time MUSE has used their band-name in a song before.

From "I Belong to You/Mon Coeur S'ou":
    I can't find the words to say when I'm confused
    I travel half the world to say "You are my muse"

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Album is out now... For those of you without advanced copies (like me) GO GET IT!!!!!!

7. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I have to say the album is definitely growing on me the more I listen to it. At first I found it a bit disjointed and inaccessible (at least not as accessible as previous albums), and I would say that assessment is still somewhat correct, but listening to each song by itself I have definitely found things to enjoy about each one, and songs that I had dismissed the first time through, such as The Resistance, and Guiding Light I have actually come to enjoy greatly (the bass on The Resistance is pretty awesome, for one).

I would say the weakest point here is United States of Eurasia .. I've heard a lot of people describe it as being excessive to the point of the ridiculous and I agree it does seem a bit overblown, and I can't say I love the Queen influence, but it's actually a pretty good song overall. Yeah, lots to love on this album - just has to grow on you a bit.

Shining lights for me are definitely Uprising, MK-Ultra, and Undisclosed Desires. Unnatural Selection is pretty wicked too. And Exogenesis, while being a weird thing to do on what is ostensibly a rock album, is pretty great once you get over the whole "symphony" thing.

8. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    So the new muse album "The Resistance" came out today (Sep.15) and I want to know your thoughts.

But first some album info:
    11 songs- In this order

Uprising
    The Resistance
    Undisclosed Desires
    The United States of Eurasia
    Guiding Light
    Unnatural Selection
    MK Ultra
    I Belong to You
    and Exogenesis parts I,II, and III

(The three songs in red were my favorites)

Overrall I'm pretty satisfied with this CD, There's a recurring theme of "overthrowing a tyrranical government" or something to that effect. I am a little disappointed with their single "Uprising" it just seems a little to boring for me. Also I would've liked to have heard more Kaoss pad use, but that's just my opinion.

So what's yours?

What are your 3 favorite songs and your overrall opinion of the disk?

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
    oh yah! "undisclosed desires" is awesome! Lots of other great songs of course but that one I like a lot.

10. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    yeah that's a great one too, I liked how they branched out a little bit from typical muse to make that song

11. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Resistance
    Undisclosed Desires
    Unnatural Selection

Well worth the effort I went through to buy this. I got the version with the making of DVD, I can't wait to check that out (of course it comes out the week I get raped with coursework).

I was let down by Exogenesis, don't get me wrong it's excellent but I was expecting some 33 minute epic heavy symphony laden masterpiece (with how much Bellamy talked it up). I'm actually proud of myself that I learned one of the songs by ear (Undisclosed Desires something I'm not good with at all yet) granted it is very simple.

12. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    The weakest point was I Belong To You IMHO. Not bad just a kooky song. I will say I was let down by Exogenesis, it is a great song but Bellamy hyped it up too much from what he was saying it sounded like it was going to resemble Echoes (in my mind). What I mean is a build up with the symphony then getting a little more intense and then getting pretty heavy with a 20 something minute guitar solo then the symphony to wind back down. He made a lot of references to a "23 minute space rock solo" or something to that extent and I was kind of disappointed it wasn't there.

I think they changed their style for this one because they were trying to make it more appealing for the States. I know Bellamy has said he hoped this one would finally be their breakout in the States. Makes sense to me with the more R&B/Electronica feel in some of the songs.

I agree with the immaturity statement, Showbiz is my least favorite album, it just seems really weak compared with the others. I think they grew up during OOS though (except for Screenager that one isn't really up there for me).

I've had this album on repeat since noon yesterday (when my stupid record store opened) and it just keeps growing on me. I plan on checking out the making of DVD tonight.

13. You say kooky, I say kookie. :) I think that song is funky as hell, and beautiful when the French portion starts. If I had to say there's a song I don't like, it's USoE. It's different, yes, and the Maurice Jarre-inspired bridge is great, but I don't find myself connecting with it like I do the others on the album.

Exogenesis is better than I had imagined. It didn't blow my mind, but it was an amazing trip nonetheless. The third movement gave me chills, just how beautiful it was.

I've told myself I will not listen to it again until I'm in the car on the drive up to see them open for U2 with my sister. I will resist the Resistance!

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    The album is on constant loop in my car...

15. I got into Muse back in college, when I heard a friend playing some of the "Absolution" tracks on his computer, and I went out and bought it. And loved it.

I picked up "Black Holes and Revelations" long after it was released, and it took me a while to get into it, but I thought it was amazing, and better that "Absolution," in my opinion. "Exo-Politics" is one of my favorites, and "Assassin" just recently grew on me even more.

When I picked up this album, it was the same - first impressions were that it was weak and not as good as "BHaR" - but after a few listens, man, it kills.

Personally, when I first listen, my brain is trying to find some sort of lyrical content that I can latch onto - and although their lyrics aren't BAD, you just have to accept that Bellamy is going to give you a whole lot of conspiracy theory/One World Government content, and I don't really care for that. Then after I sort through the lyrics, my brain REALLY latches on to the music, harmonic structures, melodies, all that. Classical music is amazing, and that's why I love how Bellamy puts his classical influence into the songs.

Anyway, it's gonna be on heavy rotation in my car for a while, I think. "Undisclosed Desires" is like the funky "Supermassive Black Hole" of the album, and "United States of Eurasia" started out cheesy in my mind, but is now one of my favorites - I got goosebumps when the Chopin Nocturne came on.
    "Unnatural Selection" is my favorite track so far, but really, every track is starting to grow on me.

16. ive got it.. but i havent put it on yet. in the same afternoon, i got the new saosin and every time i die records. i didnt feel it was fair to try to listening to all that at once. muse gets its own week after ive thoroughly digested the new every time i die. saosin was weak. but in their defense, i havent liked them nearly as much since i started listening to secret and whisper, which is a more talented canadian version of them.

so my analysis will be along in the coming days.

17. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Not a big fan of Undisclosed Desires fan, sounds like a rather bad synth dance song, but the rest are growing on me (I'm a big fan of Resistance and Guiding Light). Unnatural Selection is quite cool, even if it sounds a bit QOTSA. Exogenesis is underwhelming, I was expecting far more then just arpeggiating strings and high and loose singing, was hoping for a full symphony. A good listen if nothing else with moments of brilliance, but I still prefer the earlier albums.

18. Um, I found the album to be terrible, the vocals devoid of any emotion or credibility and the entire thing just a big pretentious unoriginal overblown mess. Every song had a little hook or beat somewhere that reminded me of something else except the three-parter at the end. I love the earlier stuff, and consider them to be one of the best live bands in the world, but yeah. Massive let down.

19. Well it's not like anyone cares what you think. You could try downplaying the hipster metalhead thing a bit you know.

20. It's an opinion, let the man express it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021