1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New music and interesting perspectives on groove

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Mar 27, 2013.

1. I've been listening to a lot of "Djent" lately. I resisted it at first but there are some good examples out there. In my opinion, they are the Dream Theater, Rush, or Tool of this generation. But what I find really interesting in this genre is their use of highly syncopated grooves. I recommend checking it out even if you're not into this type of music. It's really interesting to consider and even try to keep along with it and how different it is from our norm of pop music. One thing I notice is a heavy use of muted and percussive notes even on the bass guitar which aren't typically prominent in heavy music.

The vocals might make this hard for non metal fans but I recommend listening anyways

What are your opinions? After seeing Periphery perform live I decided to give them another try but have always been a Tesseract fan. Is this a new way of looking at grooves? If not, is it noteworthy that they brought a more complicated use of existing paradigms into a type of popularity?