New Music Isn't All Bad....NEWS FLASH

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jiles, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Ok, so most of it is. I know this subject has been touched upon in another forum, but not critiqued musically. In the midst of manufactured no-talent, puppet acts on MTV and that God-awful nu-metal, comes Oysterhead!!!

This is a true diamond in the rough people! If you are a musician of any kind you need to do yourself a favor and check out Oysterhead. Nu-metal singers sound like they have a sock rammed in their throat and it sounds all so contrived and phony. Thanks alot Lane got every nu-metal singer in the world trying to copy you now! Though Lane was an original, and I appreciate him. Anyway....

To hear Trey Anastasio (sp) and Les Claypool sing and harmonize together is a quite pleasant suprise. Wonderful stuff. I mean, yeah, some of the songs sound like they got left off the last Phish and Primus albums, but come on! This album is great.

Great slap bass as always from the Col. and not to mention some awesome jazzy walking lines on several tunes on the album. Stewart Copeland's playing is superb as ever and he doesn't have to worry about being in a band where he has to kick the bass player/singers ass every show. LOL.

Really though, I thought this would suck at first, but its shaping up to be a personal favorite. A classic perhaps!!!!!!
  2. Yes, I've given it it a quick listen, it's good stuff. If you like Phish and Primus, it's a must have. I just wish it had Phish's bass player, what's his name, Mike Gordon. I like his playing better than Les, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that around here.
  3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Their playing is superb, their singing isn't too shabby, and they're all excellent musicians, but for some reason, the music is too "dry." It's hard to describe, but the music doesn't really grab me. I appreciate it on an intellectual level, and it's okay to listen to, but it doesn't really reach me. The "ambiguous harmony" as described by Bass Player magazine, is also a little annoying. I do own the cd though, and occaisonally give it a spin.
  4. I'm pretty much with Lance on this one.

I own it, too. I am a huge Claypool and Copeland fan, and their performances don't disappoint. But MAN, that music is even stranger than Primus music. Some of it so left field I just can't connect, except intellectually (cool bass part! How did Stewart DO THAT??).

Track 3 I think it is....some wild envelope filter! :)