Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New musicman basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Has anyone tried them? How do they sound/feel?

Also, what's the differnce between the sub and the stingray. It seems like it's passive, but with the 2 band option, it's the same as a stingray except for the headstock i think.

2. OH NO!!! The BONGO is REAL!!! :eek: :bawl: WHY???

On the other hand, that SUB looks pretty much like the Ray other than it is made of Poplar instead of the chances of having Ash, Alder, or Poplar on Ray's and Sterling's. It also has the option of passive electronics, or buying one with active electronics.

Maybe it's a cheaper, more affordable model of the Ray???

3. If you really hate the Bongo, just don't buy it. When EB realizes that they still have warehouses of unsold Bongos, they'll start thinking "uhh, maybe we shouldn't make butt ugly basses anymore."

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ugly basses, and it gets my vote for "Bass with most stupid name on the planet". This is like Spector making overly priced guitars. One day they will wake up, or as Rabid said, see the store houses of unsold wangos' or bombo's, o whatever the hell they are, and say "Maybe this was not such a good idea.".

Also, a Bongo is a type of drum, right? Not a bass made by a highly respected maker?

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    {{{ Puts 2 more nails in the EB coffin }}}

:bawl:
    Well, there goes the last shred of my desire for (another) musicman.

It'll be guitar center and sam ash who get most of those and have them at the "once in a lifetime" weekly sales.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The MM Bongo is bassdom's inspiration for the question "Why, oh why?"...:meh:

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...the MM Bongo is hands-down the ugliest slab of butchered wood masquerading as a musical instrument that I've ever set my eyes on.

Any dissenting opinions?

8. whats with the sub. i cant tell a diffence from a ray.
    i wouldnt mine getting one.

9. the body isn't that bad, IMO, in a sort of quirky-60's-Italian-Eko-oddball-hot-water-bottle-type-way, but the headstock really kills it-
    it looks like a can-opener.

but Dave Larue's been seen playing one (at least at an industry show, anyway) , so who knows, it may catch on.....

10. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    Dual Humbucking is cool

i want to judge them for their sound

maybe a really great great sound will make the balance betwen the horrible body

dont you think?

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Does anyone know when they will be available?

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    MM Bongo Link

Holy Sheet! What were they thinking? And I'm a MM fan........

13. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    That hasn't dawned on them thus far. They're still making all their basses with pickuards :p

I'm one of the few that likes the design.

14. I like that body .. reminds me of a toilet seat

:D[​IMG]

15. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i dont think the body is that bad at all. its a bit unusual, and thats not really a bad thing. i think it will grow on you "hatas"

16. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i hated the bongo at first.. i REALLY hated it, but it has grown on me a bit since looking at pics of them a little more.. if i was rich i'd buy a few just for the helluvit.

the sub.. just a stripped down 'ray..
    lemme see what Brian from Ernie Ball said...

"The S.U.B. Bass is manufactured at the same factory as the Sting Ray in San Luis Obispo, CA. The same electronics, bridge, saddles and design are used. The body is poplar with a textured finish, and offers a black painted neck and rosewood fretboard . The Passive electronics option is unique, however only a 2-Band, not 3-Band EQ preamp version is available. The S.U.B. will only be offered in these four colors: Black, White, Teal , Red"

i'm gonna buy me a white S.U.B. with a 2 band active EQ, maybe... actually, maybe not.. I dont care for poplar very much.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I kinda like the look of the Bongo, but the name truly blows chunks.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ok - so i'm the first guy here who NEEEEEEEEEEDS a Bongo bass!!!!!!!!! this is the worst GAS attack i've had since before I played a streamer jazzman and learned I like my corvette way more. I'm dying!!! I love the newness of it, the weirdness of it! I love new things. I love the double humbucking w/4 band EQ!!! total control. damn! I will own one of these even if i have to start mugging old ladies again.

anyone know how much they cost? I'm figgering (hoping) around 1,700 retail.

just kidding about the old ladies.

19. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    <b>LMAO</b>

I know, you were just kiddin!.. still made me laugh!