Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Musicman SUB ---> Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superdave, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you ask me, it's just a mis-shapen Stingray now. Lost the Coil switch, no longer a Sterling in my mind.

Now the thing I find funny is the SUB guitars. I thought SUB stood for sport utility BASS...?

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I don't quite get that either, but I think the Sterling has a 3 band EQ rather than the 2 band of the Stingray SUB.

4. Maybe since they're slabs, it now means Sport Utility Board? ;)

I love my S.U.B. Hey, that rhymed. Sort of. :meh:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well they couldn't exactly call them the SUG could they :)

6. why is it a "sport utility bass"?

I really to understand the sport bit....

I dont really like the funny mesch type pickgaurd....will be interesting to play one

7. I really don't like the SUB sterling. The SUB finish works well with the Stingray, but in my opinion, not with the Sterling. It's just ugly now

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    It ain't half bad. I played one last night, and gave it a good run for about half an hour. Its a pretty smooth playing bass. Great Stingrayish sound.

9. Hey
    With the body woods of all of them - what body wood is the stingray? Is it swamp ash or poplar or bass wood? How about the sterling. I love the SUB series great for us who can't afford the 'real' MMs.
    Thanks
    Troy

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In the States, used Rays can be had for the same price as the SUB, they come with a case usually, and retain their resale value. That's the only thing keeping me from getting a white SUB.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    When you find a new SUB for $500 like I did, you go for them.

~Patrick

12. OK, the obvious question is "where did you find a new SUB for $500?"!

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Guitar Center clearence. Its Teal/Active. They also had a passive/red one for $499.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Really? The SUB's are half the price if the Ray's in Australia. But the Ray's are in demand so they're overpriced.

It's just marketing. There seem to be 2 target markets for the SUB line. Firstly those who want a MM sound for less money. Secondly for people like me who already have a Stingray but might consider getting a SUb as a backup. Perhaps even save the Stingray for studio use only to keep it in mint condition and use the SUB as the gig pig that cops all the scratches. The SUB finish looks awful to me but it would sure take the rigours of touring better than a Stingray would.

Didn't someone on TB strip the finish off his SUB and give it a clear coat? It looked pretty good too.

15. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I really like the shape. Too bad the textured finish ruins it for me. ::shudder::

16. Reminds me an awful lot of my old Warwick FNA...neck feels the same, and no coil switch...no pull-slap-contour on the SUB either....definitely the gig pig.

17. Interesting concept....if i has a stingray i would so be gigging with it not letting it sit around :smug:

18. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd buy an SUB for a gigging bass in a heartbeat...that is, if I were still playing the kind of places I used to play, where I wouldn't want booze and smoke, blood and sweat all over my fine Stingrays.
    Anyway, I hate the name and hate the pickguard(easily replaceable). But for a gigging bass, I'd work great with it's comfortable feel(to me anyway) and cutting tone.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ...is the hardware the same as the regular US model? What about the pickup/preamp?

Besides the finish and presumably the wood used in the body, what's the difference?

I play two Sterlings almost exclusively. I'm thinking about getting one of the new SUB Sterlings in a fretless....since I'm not sure I want to spend new-US cost on a fretless that I'd use less often.

20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    The neck has a nice satin finish on the back and it only comes in a rosewood fingerboard. The body has a funky textured finish with a cheezy metal plate pickguard(easily replaceable for $$$). The hardware, while similar to original MM instruments, is not as nice. They have a slightly different sound as well, but still similar to original MMs. They feel and sound great overall.