Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 8, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i got a sale catolog in the mail this week from a local music store(guitar center)and they are advertising a new MUSICMAN S.U.B.bass.its a 700.00$ bass that's a bit more affordable for us working class people.Its specs are as follows>34" scale neck,poplar body,a bride humbucker,6 bolt neck(not to shabby),USA made,optional 2 band E.Q.(more moola$$) and last but not the very least A FREE GIG BAG !!!! (what no hardshell case ?):mad: ,and it only comes in a few "select" colors depending on finish and retailers location.i think thats a cool marketing idea seeing how alot of people could'nt(or in my case WOULD'NT)pay 1100.00$$ + plus for the original model seems that alot of the "younger crowd"(no disrespect intended please:D )have inspirational role models who play this type of bass and saving up for OR convincing mom & pop to shell out 1200.00$ for a bass that they dont think you'll end up sticking with, or end up ruining and forgetting all about it is no easy makes this style bass more accessable to a larger spectrum of players without having to resort to buying a OLP MM bass(i'm not saying anything neg. about that bass,but realistically its far from a real MM).so if anyone out there see's or plays one give me your opinion i'm in the market for a brand new bass and would like to compair it against a 51 re-issue p-bass that i'm probably going to get if nothing else stands up to it,its close to the same price and i would like a different sound because i already have a P/J bass and a regular JAZZ.:D THANKS
  2. From what I've heard, the new S.U.B basses are very good. S.U.B have been discussed before, especially here so take a look, there's load of stuff in that thread :bassist:
  3. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I played two the other day. I'd say its a toned down Stingray, less aggressive. The finish it kinda weird, but looks and feels destructible. I think they are a pretty good buy.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I disagree. I have read places that the retail on these are $699, and since they are new, they are being sold at list. Musicians friend says list is $999, but someone showed me a Ernie Ball link that said otherwise.

With that said.....why wouldn't you just get a used Stingray? Less money, better bass.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north

Looks good, but that diamond plate aluminum pickguard is a bit silly, isn't it?
  7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually the list is $999...muscians friend only sells the ones with the preamp...which are more expensive...

8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This came up at the fenderforum
    and a guy who has insideinfo from Ernie Ball said that the listprice for the one with preamp should be 699 and the one without is 645.
    That´s at least what he said.
    Strange. :meh:
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the preamp option would only be $30 more out the door?

10. i'm part of the Ernie Ball forum as well since i own a stingray, and the moderator there said they suggested a "selling" price of 695, not a "list" price as they do with other basses