1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW MUSICMAN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 8, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i got a sale catolog in the mail this week from a local music store(guitar center)and they are advertising a new MUSICMAN S.U.B.bass.its a 700.00$ bass that's a bit more affordable for us working class people.Its specs are as follows>34" scale neck,poplar body,a bride humbucker,6 bolt neck(not to shabby),USA made,optional 2 band E.Q.(more moola$$) and last but not the very least A FREE GIG BAG !!!! (what no hardshell case ?):mad: ,and it only comes in a few "select" colors depending on finish and retailers location.i think thats a cool marketing idea seeing how alot of people could'nt(or in my case WOULD'NT)pay 1100.00$$ + plus for the original model bass.it seems that alot of the "younger crowd"(no disrespect intended please:D )have inspirational role models who play this type of bass and saving up for OR convincing mom & pop to shell out 1200.00$ for a bass that they dont think you'll end up sticking with, or end up ruining and forgetting all about it is no easy feat.it makes this style bass more accessable to a larger spectrum of players without having to resort to buying a OLP MM bass(i'm not saying anything neg. about that bass,but realistically its far from a real MM).so if anyone out there see's or plays one give me your opinion i'm in the market for a brand new bass and would like to compair it against a 51 re-issue p-bass that i'm probably going to get if nothing else stands up to it,its close to the same price and i would like a different sound because i already have a P/J bass and a regular JAZZ.:D THANKS

2. From what I've heard, the new S.U.B basses are very good. S.U.B have been discussed before, especially here so take a look, there's load of stuff in that thread :bassist:

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I played two the other day. I'd say its a toned down Stingray, less aggressive. The finish it kinda weird, but looks and feels destructible. I think they are a pretty good buy.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I disagree. I have read places that the retail on these are $699, and since they are new, they are being sold at list. Musicians friend says list is $999, but someone showed me a ernie ball link that said otherwise.

With that said.....why wouldn't you just get a used Stingray? Less money, better bass.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    [​IMG]

Looks good, but that diamond plate aluminum pickguard is a bit silly, isn't it?

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually the list is $999...muscians friend only sells the ones with the preamp...which are more expensive...

steve

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This came up at the fenderforum
    and a guy who has insideinfo from Ernie Ball said that the listprice for the one with preamp should be 699 and the one without is 645.
    That´s at least what he said.
    Strange. :meh:

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the preamp option would only be $30 more out the door?

ok

steve

10. i'm part of the ernie ball forum as well since i own a stingray, and the moderator there said they suggested a "selling" price of 695, not a "list" price as they do with other basses