1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Mustang??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassface_23, May 16, 2018 at 4:15 PM.

1. bassface_23

bassface_23

Feb 21, 2018
    Found this link on Rich Tone Music (Sheffield UK) for a non PJ and also non JMJ Mustang bass -

Fender Mustang Bass 30 | Rich Tone Music

Can’t find any mention of this bass anywhere else. Anyone have any more info??

2. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Looks like the old Japanese made ones they sold up until a few years ago. I had one for a while, kind of regret selling it. Nice build quality and color.

Maybe they're bringing them back made in Mexico now that they have 2 other 'stangs in the production catalog?

gln1955 likes this.
  3. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010

4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Link says: "....
    Pre-Order
    This item is on pre-order with our supplier.

Different suppliers and manufacturers will have different delivery timescales.

Please call our customer service team on 0114 362 7777 for a more accurate ETA..."

So, I'm guessing they're bringing back the Mustang that was made in Japan - but probably made somewhere else now.

5. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Interesting! I wonder what the pickups will be...

6. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Looks like Mustang to me.

7. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I can't see it too well but it almost looks like a backwards P pup... that'd be kinda neat I think

8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I mean, who will make them, specs, sound, etc. As jackn1202 says, the picture isn’t super clear, but it does seem that the pickup on this new Mustang Bass 30 at least looks like the original or the MIJ split coil pickup, as opposed to a PJ config or the mudbucker-style humbucker of the out of production Pawn Shop version, etc.

I have an MIJ Mustang reissue, and that one comes with a "Duncan designed" (not Duncan made) Mustang bass pickup. It sounds great (if low output), but I’ve read that the MIJs sound different than the original (now vintage) Mustang basses with their Fender pickups (among other differences). The well-regarded JMJ has, I believe, a "custom" Seymour Duncan Mustang pickup.

Meanwhile, I see that the Rich Tone Music ad says, regarding the pickup:
    • Middle Pickup: Special Design Split Single-Coil Mustang Bass Pickup

Anyway, just wondering what will be in there and what it’ll sound like (especially compared to my MIJ!)

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 2:09 AM
  9. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I think it's just an old listing for the Japanese Mustang. It has a rosewood fretboard which Fender phased out last year on it's entry level guitars and the photo was last edited on 12 December 2017.

Uncle K and matante like this.
  10. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Some UK retailers are a bit bad for keeping extinct products on their webpages with a 'phone for availability' caveat, or similar. Fender brought back these Japanese Mustangs last year.

matante likes this.
  11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I don't really know who makes the pickups for any bass.

Ya - probably 'nothing to see here'. What throws me off is that is says 'pre-order' and it shows that one person has one on pre-order.

12. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    This is exactly how I scored my MIJ from Anderton's a couple years back. They got about 5 in and did a pre-order, 1 of which was purchased by my wife for our anniversary. Please note: mine does say it's MIJ and I'm pretty sure it has a 2016 serial# (purchased late 2016).

13. Member8675309

Member8675309 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Buy one and find out.

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If this is possibly from a stash of old MIJ Mustangs, nab it. That is one sweet bass. I will never part with mine.

dmt, Duder and macmanlou like this.
  15. Waytootrue

Waytootrue

Jan 19, 2018
    Denver
    I love the look of those old mustangs. If only they were to bring em back.

16. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Looks exactly like my vintage white mustang.

DCD9CE25-6264-4A71-9692-AE25B9FDEC82.

gln1955, dmt, Axstar and 2 others like this.
  17. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have a japan built circa, 1997 mustang bass. I paid a fortune for it as it was showroom condition! They are getting harder to find. The build quality is outstanding, the original pick up is a Duncan split coil. Its a sweet bass!

Zoobiedood and gln1955 like this.