1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New MXR Brown Acid Bass Fuzz (Colorsound Clone) with Demo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4StringsEnough, Sep 20, 2019.

1. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    This looks very interesting. Seems to have come out of nowhere and already shipping. It's not even on the MXR website. Based on the Colorsound Fuzz and apparently being championed by none other than Justin Chancellor of Tool. Anybody know any more about it?

2. I used to work there so might pop in tomorrow and give it a go in person.

crapusername and BrentSimons like this.
  3. Sounds great in the demo

4. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I definitely want to check that out

5. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Well I took the plunge and ordered one. It's awesome! So much low end. Love it!

gregmon79, crapusername and Robertron like this.
  6. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Does it have that 'signature' MXR blend type sound?

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
  8. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm interested, but I would like to understand how close it is in tone to the MXR Bass Distortion pedal.

9. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    BillMason likes this.
  10. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    No, there is no blend and it's actually all the better for it. I've always found blended fuzzes to sound like two separate signals and the fuzz element tends to get lost in the mix. The Brown Acid is just HUGE! It's like all the power and kick of your fundamentals are there with this huge fuzz added on top. Hard to describe without sounding like I'm describing a blend. It's more like a low pass filter so tbh so the lows don't get fuzzy. Way better than a blend.

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I tried the Bass Distortion and just didn't like it. But they're not the same sort of pedal. The bass distortion is a high gain blended distortion whereas the Brown Acid is definitely fuzz and no blend. It does one thing and does it really well.

MobileHolmes and Allegrus like this.
  12. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I want one.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Sorry I have to post this :) Actually sounds like a cool pedal, lol
    [​IMG]

BeauZooka and BrentSimons like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Uh oh, looks like I'm going to be sucked into the Fuzz Vortex again. I like what I'm hearing, but I do need to hear it live because I've been fooled before with fuzz.

15. Looks like a good price too?

16. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Yeah, definitely, compared with some of the other top-end MXR pedals not to mention other boutique fuzzes or, indeed, a Colorsound.

17. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahaha! Sorry! I've not used mine live yet but I have played along with backing tracks which, while not the same thing, gives a good indication and it leads me to believe the pedal will do well in the mix. Acid test (pun intended) still to come...

JimmyM likes this.
  18. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    wow sounds great!!

19. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    20191003_141124.jpg
    Got the brown acid today and it sounds awesome at home. I will test it with the band at tomorrow nights show!

20. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    Yup .. I got mine too. It sounds quite good; I actually didn't realize how much I liked the Fuzz vs. Distortion on Bass until today. Tomorrow I'm going to blend it with a clean signal with an LS 2.

Here is what I did note though ... when I started pushing the fuzz past 2-3 o clock, there was some low frequencies dropping. The good news is that anyone that is pushing that level of fuzz probably doesn't care about much about maintaining their bass tone anyways. Probably nothing an EQ can't fix, or a blending with clean.

Rich67 and JimmyM like this.