Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New NAMM Stuff...Spector, MTD and Warwick...and Kittie too.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rod Harder, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Just got back from NAMM, and there is LOTS of cool new stuff, as you'd expect. I checked the other threads on the show and here are some of the cool things in the Mid priced stuff I saw.
    Spector - Q series is discontinued, the new series is the Legend series, it has the ORIGINAL NS body style, a High Gloss Figured maple OR Oil finished Bubinga top in a 4, 5 OR 6 string.
    Prices are pretty much where the Q4/Q5/Q6 were before. Here's a pic of 2 of them......

2. MTD now has ACTIVE EQ on the Kingston and the Heir basses as well as transparent finishes on the Kingston basses. They look and sound AMAZING, and growl like a Junkyard Pit Bull with a bad attitude. I bought one of the show basses from the booth and it is incredible, it's a Kingston 5 , with active 3 band EQ and a basswood body in Transparent Blue. The Kingstons will also be available in Ash body models for a little extra $$$ as well. Also kudos to Norm Stockton, who is perhaps the nicest guy in the whole bass world, and one of the most amazing bassists I have ever seen.....I left the MTD booth wanting to learn how to play the accordion or something similar because Norm is UNREAL.....as a bassist and as a human being they don't come alot nicer than him.
    Here are a couple of pics of the new Heir and Kingston, as well as my new Kingston 5 in Transparent Blue....

3. My new Kingston 5 in trans blue.....this bass kicks serious *ss......I love it......

4. More Warwick Katana shots......

5. Cool stuff! Id love to go to NAMM one day, must be a blast.

By any chance did you get any shots of the Rickenbacker booth?

6. And here is yours truly with Jennifer Arroyo of Kittie at the Warwick booth...and for all you Talenaphytes out there.... I just gotta say that Jen's a sweetheart and she can play too....she's a really nice girl.....and not as pale as Talena either:D

7. And here is something else new from Spector too.....the Euro LX neck through basses. They are Alder bodied with a figured maple top, a wee bit lighter than the all maple Euro basses, and a bit less $$$$ as well.....they look good and sound pretty good too. Here's a 4 string Euro LX.....

8. Here's the Alder back of the Euro LX....

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Wow, you done some valuable field work for us there, buddy. Hey, about the new Kingston Heir 5 - are they available in a choice of colours rather than just tobacco burst as was previously the case? That one factor alone has stopped me from really checking them out. I'd just like a nice black one.

10. I saw a new Heir in Trans Red Flame top, and an Amber Flame top as well...so I guess that's a yes......the new Kingston I brought home is AMAZING, and I played a new Heir as well, and it is VERY cool with the active EQ

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your new Kingston looks great! Do you happen to know how much the new ones selling for, and when will they be available?

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love the new spectors!

both the legend and the alder bodied Euro LX.

13. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Was there a kingston Sixstring?? I mailed Mike Tobias once to ask and he said that they where planning/trying on making a kingston 6string. So I'm still waiting.........

14. Hey thanks for pics of the mid price stuff :)
    The new spectors look great, and i hope Australia gets an MTD dealer soon! Love those kingstons.
    That Warwick Katana doesnt look as bad as I first thought either.

15. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Very, Very Nice, I guess now we know why Zzounds and American Musical had the kingstons at closeout prices. :eek:

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Hey Harder...
    Did you get to see/meet Billy Sheehan? I saw you when you took that picture with Arroyo! Classic. I was spending a lot of time at the Spector booth as well, since they are the ones that flipped my bill. Did you get to catch Quentin?

17. Hey Firk,
    I talked to Billy and Steve Vai at the NARAS Grammy Awards booth before their autograph signing on Saturday. I was fortunate enough to meet Billy last year as well, and he was really polite and accomodating. What did you think of the new USA bolt-On Spectors with the more squared off edges? Personally I like the rounder outside edges of the older style USA bolt ons, but those were just protos so they may change. Gotta love the Spalt on the USA Bolt ons at the show though....very cool to see Stuart evolving the line at every price level.
    Did you see that piece of 100 year old+ Redwood burl at the Spector booth? When I saw that I almost got seasick looking at it....what an amazing piece of wood.
    Something else that I really dug at the show were the Brubaker basses that Kevin brought this year. Maybe it's old news but I had never seen the pop-out modular preamps he has on some models, VERY trick idea, and the finishes on some of the basses were amazing, the spalts and flames on the green singlecuts were just too trippy.

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    PJ told me that they are thinking about the squared edges. I particularly like the rounded edges myself. I am ordering a Spalted NS-2 next week. PJ said there is only enough wood to make about 25 to 30 basses so you better get in.

I liked the 5 string Legend series with the J/Humbucker config. Very nice and very affordable.

Check out these pics I took with some celebs:
    http://www.firkinahsouls.com/nammy

Rock on!

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    What are the tonal differences between a Kingston 5 and an Heir 5?