New neck bolt idea on my 5-string.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Check out what I did with the neck bolts on my 5-string. I put three bolts throug the back where they enter the thick portion of the neck. The other two I brought in from the front so more of the threads will be anchored on the wood.

These two bolts and the truss rod access will be covered by a matching plate.

What do you think?
  2. Here it is with the cover on.
  3. Looks interesting- what kind of wood is that (the body)?
  4. Thanks. The body is Black Limba (aka Korina).
  5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Cool idea where did you get a 1 piece Black limba piece of wood that big? I like black limba....t
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It's a GREAT idea. Kinda like a bolt on set neck!!! Being the kind of person who firmly believes in parallel discovery, does anyone know if anyone else has ever done this? ( I thought about it, but never actually did it. )
  7. You know, for a moment there, I was seeing that first pic to look two bolts holding a joint with a triangular "dovetail" in the neck pocket - which, to me, had it's own appeal as a possibility.

But I also see dead people in the static on my TV so that's nothing new. :rolleyes: :D
  8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've done this on a few basses. It really allows for a no heel feel and great upper fret access. The only limitation is neck pickup location. Depending on how far you extend the neck heel, which obviously has to be extended a little, you may not be able to get the neck pup as close as you'd like. It hasn't been a problem for me as I usually place my neck pup where it is located on a Jazz bass and even with 24 frets there's plenty of room for a couple bolts. I made a 22 fret once and had all 5 bolts done from the from the front and those were covered with a pickguard. To look at the bass one would think it a set neck.
  9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It sure looks interesting. It would be cool to hide them all.

I'm not understanding how this gets more threads achored in the wood, though. Do you mean more threads anchored in the neck wood? The body wood?
  10. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Not that I'm ANY kind of expert, it looks to me as though bolts from both the bottom and the top would give you a more stable neck joint. I would also think that the two bolts through the neck and into the body would help in that regard.
  11. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm assuming you glued the cover on? But the only problem i see with this idea is if you ever have a problem with the neck. But that's rare. (note: I am talking to myslef here, I do that often). Great Idea though
  12. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Cool. What kind of pickups are those funkula?
  13. The body I used here is 1 5/8" thick. The bolts that attach from the back pass through the 1 5/8" body. The holes in the body are slightly larger than the screws so the threads aren't grabbing onto anything. Only the remainder of the screw is anchored into the wood of the neck.

The screws that enter through the front only pass through about 1/2" of neck wood then the remainder of the screw anchors into the body wood.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...........

Nothing is glued, it's just a regular bolt-on neck only two bolts come from the front. The cover plate will have four screws holding it into place. That way it can be removed to make truss rod adjustments.

The pickups are made by Kent Armstrong's son for JP basses. Pete Skjold had a couple of sets he bought from JP and he sold them to me. The standard pickups for this model will be EMG J-style pups. An OBP-1 preamp will be installed as well.
  14. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    You make perfect sense. That's exactly the way to do it. You want your neck bolts to anchor in the neck only, or in your case with the reverse bolts, in the body only.
  15. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Gotcha. I think you'll have a pretty tight neck joint with 5 bolts in any case but do keep in mind that most body woods are not as hard/dense as neck woods and as such they might not hold a thread as well.

I think on the next one you should conceal 4 bolts and leave only one underneath. People will think that must be one strong bolt to keep the neck from flying off.
  16. I actually thought about putting three bolts from the front and two from the back. I was afraid went people see it at the music store they would think, "what a weak neck joint". :rollno:
  17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    or better yet, conceal all of them from the front like those 2 and tell everyone it's held in place by friction!
  18. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Very Cool Count,

I like the fingerboard ;) You will have to give JP a full report on the pickups. I still have one pair I'm saving for something special. Bring it by when it is done I would love to hear and play it.

Best wishes,

19. Thanks Pete! I can't wait to hear these pickups. I've got an order in for the remaining hardware to finish the bass so it shouldn't be long.

I'll bring it by when I'm finished. It looks like I'll be needing some more bloodwood. I also want to buy some of that burl redwood you have.

Pete was kind enough to sell me the fingerboard pre-slotted, and he did it with only a one day notice before I picked it up.
    Thats service!

My miter box wasn't wide enough to cut the slots myself. I think I'm going to get one of those table saw blades from stewmac and set up a slotting jig. That should be much faster than cutting them by hand.

If any of you are not familiar with Skjold Designs you should check them out. They do awesome work!
  20. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Hi All...

FYI: ESP Guitars released a guitar in the late 80s called the "Hybrid" has nothing to do with the current model of that name.
    The "Hybrid" was a Tele style guitar that had a "front-bolt"-style neck joint with only two bolts, going through the neck into the body from the front, and covered up with a pickguard.
    By necessity, this made it a 1-pickup instrument. They didn't sell that many!

On the topic of the "apparent 1-bolt" joint - we here at Veillette Guitars use a singe 1/4-20 machine screw, which threads into a steel "tee-nut" inside the neck. One bolt is plenty strong if you have a tight pocket! We've done 6-string basses, 8-string basses, 14-string guitars...all with one bolt.

Martin Keith