New neck- change bridge (for spacing) or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Oct 7, 2005.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I just got a replacement neck for a five-string J-style I'm putting together. The neck pocket will need very minor sanding to fit the wider neck, and I'm going to get a high-mass bridge as well.

Question: What bridge string spacing works for a neck that is 3" (76.2mm) at the 20th fret? The old neck is approx. 2 13/16" (approx. 72mm)at the 20th fret, and the spacing on the old bridge was 70mm.

I'm going to replace the old bridge anyhow, but I just need to know if I should widen the spacing or keep it as it is. I suspect the new neck could take a Badass (3" spacing, I think), but I'm not sure.
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You any good with Microsoft XL? I have a little spreadsheet that you can use to work out string spacing - you just type in the string gauges and the desired string width at the bridge (outer edge to outer edge). Then it works out where the slots should be cut in the saddles relative to the bridge centre, based on a) equal spacing b) central symmetry and c) a compromise between the two. It's for a 4 stringer at the moment but it could be modified easily for a 5. PM your email address if you'd like a copy.
  3. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Buy a Schaller 3d.
    ;) will solve any problem, you can decide the spacing,I got mine (but 4 strings) and is the best bass bridge you can have.