1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New neck day - Warmoth roasted maple = WOW!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laklandplayer, Nov 28, 2018.

1. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    I have a 2016 Fender American Standard P bass and, while I generally like the bass, the Fender modified C neck profile just doesn't work for me. I thought that I could get used to it but the modified C shape is just too round and chunky for my playing comfort. I prefer a thin and flatter profile like my original '65 P, my USA Lakland Scheff 5, Ibanez SR and BTB 5 strings.

I've been curious about roasted maple and it's attributes so I took the leap and ordered one from Warmoth. It's a Maple/Maple P - 10" radius, Slim Taper w/ steel rods, tusq nut and 6105 frets.

I just can't believe the excellent quality of this neck. The feel is perfect, the slim taper is thinner than their standard but is still substantial and exactly what I was looking for. It requires no finish and the construction and fret work are impeccable. I installed the tuners and mounted it myself, the neck pocket is a perfect fit.

I took it to my bass tech to lower the slots in the factory installed nut and to generally look it over. He put a straight edge to the frets and they required no leveling and the edges are perfectly cut and beveled. The frets are a tall vintage type and the bass has zero dead spots, lots of sustain and no neck dive.

I used it last night on a rehearsal of the musical Newsies and it feels effortless to play. It's the fastest neck that I've ever owned and makes the bass sound generally more even.

Warmoth necks are worth it, great products and excellent customer service.
    Their prices are premium but in the case of the roasted, since they require no finish, they are an excellent value.

I'll probably be selling the original neck.

pudge, TonyP-, Gilmourisgod and 10 others like this.
  2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Got pics?

3. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    I took a couple and they weren't very good.
    I will take some more in a day or so.

4. Join the club!
    I have a Warmoth Roasted Maple fretless neck on my Jazz V.
    Unbelievable quality!!!

FA39776A-5044-4D5E-A40F-3101D115489B.jpg

D1F9ECBE-B2ED-4D7A-A71B-643ADA55137D.jpg :bassist:

Nephilymbass, AlexanderB and osv like this.
  5. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I put together a Warmoth guitar last year with a roasted maple neck and fretboard. Excellent quality. I would gladly get one for a bass project.

6. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Do you have the side truss rod adjustment wedge mechanism in addition to the neck heel adjustment? What do you think about them?

7. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Congratulations! Warmoth makes top notch stuff!

8. I love Warmoth necks, especially wenge. If I get another one it will likely be roasted maple. As you stated, they require no finish, which is a bonus.

pudge likes this.
  9. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    The truss rod adjustment is on the heel of the neck and does not have the "micro-tilt" (which you may be referring to) which adjusts the neck angle in the body's neck pocket. If you have a properly sized neck pocket and neck, you don't need micro tilt, which is essentially a mechanical shim adjustment. If you need to shim the neck angle, you can buy commercially made shims from Stewart McDonald or use a guitar pick or business card.

My particular neck has an extra fret (up to an E natural on the G string). It extends the fretboard a little bit and it looks just fine. With that extended fret board, I have to remove the neck to get to the truss rod adjustment, which is no big deal to me. You can order these necks without the extra fret so it's 100% identical to a Fender.
    I could have ordered that way but I didn't want to wait 6 weeks for delivery.
    Mine was an "in stock" neck on their web site and when you order it they then finish it with your choice of frets and for a $30.00 up-charge, I had them install a TUSQ nut. It took a week to arrive including the Thanksgiving holiday. Warmoth makes their stuff under license and are approved by Fender so they are a cut above most guitar parts suppliers.

AlexanderB and JZQuantum like this.
  10. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Here are pics of the neck before it was finished and fretted from the Warmoth site. BN8881A (2).jpg

PockySteve likes this.
  11. Nice! But I thought you didn't have a finish put on?

12. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Finished meaning completed. There is no finish on it, and it feels great!

13. I had to wait 5 weeks from the moment I completed the purchase to the day I got it...was a brutal wait...

14. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Warmoth has an option on their guitar necks where the truss has a fine-tuning adjuster you access on the side of the neck; you can see it here. Doesn't look like they do it for bass necks though; perhaps it's too much stress for that kind of mechanism. I think that's what @JZQuantum was thinking of.

15. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    I was not aware of that device, that's a cool feature, great for guitar necks that react to temperature changes or move a lot. The Warmoth bass necks are also loaded with 2 steel rods on either side of the truss rod which makes them more stable and lessens the need for frequent adjustment. The only time that I find myself adjusting the truss rod is if I change string gauges. Using balanced tension strings also helps even the pull on the neck making the relief the same on both sides of the fretboard.

JZQuantum likes this.
  16. Here's a loaded question, did changing the neck change the tone of the bass?

TonyP- and AlexanderB like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's beautiful!

Now..... about this chunky neck you're selling...... :cool:

I have a super thin Mighty Mite Jazz neck (with ultralite tuners) and some cash just itching to come your way! ;)

18. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Yes, that was it. I've never seen that wedge-type mechanism before and I was thinking it's a good idea to save some hassle of removing the neck for minor truss rod adjustments. It means more pieces that can potentially go wrong on your guitar, but still a good idea.

19. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Fortunately, it did not change the tone. I'm using the EMG passive Geezer Butler Alnico 5 pickup in this bass and its a dead ringer for a 1963 P pickup, it is excellent.

The reason the I switched is that Fender pickup has raised magnets with sharp edges and I was hitting them with my fingers when I played over it. When I lowered the pickup enough to get the magnets out of my way, it killed the output volume.

The EMG magnets are flush with the cover.

EMG just had a 20% off sale and I ordered the new EMG P pickup with Alnico 2 magnets which is essentially a vintage '57 P pickup.

With the EMG quick release wiring all you do is plug it in, no soldering at all. So, I can trade pickups out easily depending on the sound I want.

Bass V likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nothing better than the feel of your perfect neck! congrats! :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021