1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New neck - Drill patterns for Fender J bass headstock?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott Roc, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    I just got a j bass neck for a project bass I decided to build. The neck came drilled for the tuning keys but not for anything else. Does anyone know where to find a drilling pattern for string retainer? I'm sure I can figure it out by comparing it to my other J Bass, but a little extra insight never hurt.

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I mount the tuning keys first. The string retainer goes on last. String it up, and center the retainer between the D and G strings. I put the center of it even with the bottom of the A post.

3. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    Thanks that makes sense. Does the position of the string retainer have any effect on tuning?

4. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Not if it's done right :)

The purpose of the retainer is to ensure that the D and G strings "break" at a good angle across the nut. If you put it too far from the nut the angle the strings make over the nut is too shallow to seat them well.

5. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    So if I am understanding this correctly. The string retainer has a general area it should be in, but not an exceptionally specific spot as long as the strings lay across the nut a good angle. Correct?

6. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Correct - but if you don't get it centered between the strings it makes it easier for strings to pop out from under it, and it may rub the strings too much when tuning.

7. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    Cool
    Thanks for the help, I feel like I have a handle on how to do it now.