New Neck For Custom Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hello, all.

Many of you have probably seen a photo of my Filakovsky Custom Jazz.
    Guitar_4.JPG
    It's Koa over swamp ash, maple neck, ebony board.

Sadowsky pickups with the Sadowsky Vintage Tone Circuit.

The bass sounds fantastic, as you might think, but the neck has been acting up in the last year or so. The tech said he had trouble adjusting it the last time I had it set up, which I believe was last January.

I'm thinking about getting another neck, possibly this one: Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - Super Bass Construction

The present neck is maple/ebony.

If I get the one above, it's rosewood/rosewood.

This bass' natural tone has always been a dark, 60s type tone when not using the Sadowsky VTC.

How do you think the rosewood/rosewood neck will affect the tone?

Do you have any other neck/fretboard combination suggestions?

I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    NigelD likes this.
  2. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Both maple and ebony are known to accentuate the high frequency content of your tone, while rosewood is known to be a warm tone wood, meaning it will actually do the exact opposite.

It's debatable how big an effect wood really has on an electrical stringed instrument though, and I would also think it will differ from individual instrument to instrument.

But if any tone difference you should expect your tone to get less bright and warmer with an all rosewood neck in place of the maple/ebony one you got now.

Rosewood is also slightly softer than both maple and ebony, though still a really hard wood.

Also be aware that Rosewood is an endangered species and under the CITES regulation, which means you will be in trouble if you should need to bring the bass with you to a foreign country.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Michael Jewels likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fixed that for ya.

4. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    The effect is quite known, real and scientifically proven, it has to do with the average structure, density, hardness and other general qualities specific for specific types of wood, weather it then have any real influence on an electrical stringed instrument though has not been proven, as I also mentioned in the post you quote from.

There was nothing wrong with how I formulated it and you fixed it to be less correct.

Gorn likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you can cite those double blind studies, that would be great. Thanks.
    Exactly. Hence "thought."

6. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    In the context that I use "known" it would be the correct word to use, as it is in fact actually known qualities for those types of wood, weather it then have an effect, to what degree that effect is or even if it has no effect at all on an electrical instrument, which I even then later elaborate on.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Oh dear.:rollno:

Bahjark likes this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Looks like
    Looks like the company that put the guitar together used a USACG neck to me, unless they just ganked the headstock

9. I don't understand; are USACG necks not good?
    Are Warmoth better?
    I do not know what make the neck is.

Mike

10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    If it was me, I'd put a Status Graphite neck on it, but...

11. Please elaborate.
    I'm open to suggestions. ;)

Mike

12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Status Graphite (Status Graphite. The finest hand-made graphite basses and guitars. Made in England.) is a UK shop that makes basses (I own two of them) but also Precision, Jazz, and Musicman replacement necks. Construction is graphite fiber over a lightweight core. Very light, very precise. The necks on my Status basses are far and away the best necks I've ever played. But the fingerboards are ebinol (or equivalent), which I personally think is excellent, but may not be to your taste if you're debating rosewood.

13. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    They’re good. Just speculating. Any replacement neck to your spec should work. I’d get it same woods as currently

14. Sid, thanks for the info, but I'm going to stay closer to home with whatever I order.
    As for ebonol, I am familiar with it; the fingerboard on this bass, my Ibanez EDA905F is ebonol.
    Mike

Guitar_9.JPG

15. This is the situation: I was thinking of getting another bass, which I don't need, but with the neck on my jazz acting up, I am going to get a replacement neck, rather than another bass. That jazz, pictured above is one of my favorites.

And, in searching Warmoth, and then researching replacement necks for Fender basses, I had forgotten that I could buy a real Fender neck for my bass.

This is very enlightening.

Keep those comments and suggestions coming.

Mike. ;)

16. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Warmoth necks are nice, but are boat anchors if you choose to get the steel truss rod. I recently ordered a musikraft neck in hope that it will be less weighty.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021