Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New neck in the mail today (Rondo), what do I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kosko, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Well this may be the most noobish question I can ask, but I figured this was the right place for it. I'll be recieving a fretless neck from Rondo today (or should be). What I need to know is, should I be expecting to need to finish it? If so whats the best oil to use for it and where can I get it? Then can someone explain the process of drilling mounting holes for the screws. There is a nut coming with it (albiet plastic and crappy) that is already filed so that isn't a problem at the moment.

So, if anyone's gotten a Rondo neck before and has put it on a bass successfully, I'd like to talk :) Thanks for everyone's imput. Talk to you soon.

2. Maple Rondo necks come unfinished but with a sanding sealer. You can't put oil on like that but you can go straight to a clear poly coating. If you want oil, I can recommend sanding the sealer off and then putting the oil on. The rosewood necks come completely finished with a rather thick poly coating on them. Of course, you can take this off too but I'll warn ya - it's some work to sand off that clearcoat.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I got a whole bass just so I could take the neck off and use it on my own project. Of course it was completely finished already. I didn't know they could be had seperatly.:confused:
    I used this brand cause of the wider heel 2 9/16" that it uses.

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Is the sanding sealer enough for playable neck? Its not going to be my end all bass, just something to mess around with.

5. It would hold up for a little while but sooner rather than later, it'll wear through and you'll begin staining the wood. Remember, the fretboard isn't finished either and that will take more abuse than the back of the neck.

6. So Hambone, please verify if I'm reading this correctly. The rosewood spare necks from Rondo have that same thick coat as the rosewood-necked basses that are offered? Is it the same story with the fretless necks?

Also, the headstocks don't come with any decals, or do they?

7. i recently ordered and recieved a fretless rondo jazz neck. unfinished, it somehow seems nicer than the ones that come on the basses. the nut is installed, slotted, and is no different than the ones on the other rondo basses. no tuning machines (obviously), and no predrilled holes for attaching to the body. also, no logos.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just got one too, and second everything you said. It is a very nice neck for the price. I was surprised after reading somewhere on here that even Kurt said the nuts are no good, yet the nut on mine is decent and usable. Not great, but as good as you would expect a plastic nut to be. My only complaint is that they call it a Jazz neck, but it feels wider, like a P, to me. I haven't measured it, but I'm used to Jazz necks so I know it is wider.

9. Yeah, they are a little wider, but their P is wider too so the relationship is about the same.

I've been telling you guys these are the best value on the market. They aren't the best necks but the cost to quality ratio is very good.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Agreed. Their spares are really solid, but could use a bit of work - fret work, finishing, maybe some sanding, etc. Now if they only had fretless P necks.....

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Try their fretless J neck, I just measured mine, and it is 1 9/16" instead of 1 1/2" like a J. It feels more P than J to me, although it is somewhere in between.

12. The Rondo necks were the catalyst behind me figuring out how to narrow the fretboards without taking the frets off. I jigged it up and it works very well. The only thing left after trimming is redressing the ends of the frets and blending the sides with the back. I've got my own personal P that's going together that has had this done. The only difference is that I'm refretting because I also re-radiused the board for a more vintage feel.

13. So the maple necks with rosewood board do have a finish on the back? I picked up a Dr. Parts neck out here in Aus (the same ones Rondo are selling) and it looks to have a finish but it's not glossy or anything. Is this the sanding sealer?

14. Probably.

The fully finished necks might have been takeoffs or overruns that were already done.