1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new neck? or new nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hachi kid, Nov 3, 2010.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    hey guys. I know the obvious financial choice here is "NEW NUT!!!!", but I've been noticing I've been having some trouble when it comes to playability on my bass. the bass I started on and played for 9 years has a narrow Jazz style neck, and Vincent has a wide p-bass style neck on it. I've noticed that my playing is a bit "clunky", and I've been thinking it's been due to the string spacing. when I was in guitar center on my lunch break today, I played a couple basses, and I noticed on the poorly setup Jazz basses, I was really moving around the fretboard without problems and each note was well articulated. when I picked up a P-bass, that "clunkiness" to my playing came back. I initially thought about ordering a replacement all canary jazz bass neck from Warmoth and selling my current neck whenever it arrives. but that's kind of expensive. so, my next thought was getting a narrower slotted nut made and installed on it. I'm curious if it wouldn't still feel weird with the "extra neck" being there, though. I mean the extra wood there outside of the E and G strings. anyway, I hope you guys might be able to help me on this. I'd rather not spend $400 on a new neck...that'd be nice.....

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    also, with Warmoth, the back to front thickness is the same with the jazz and precision bass style necks, assuming you get the standard contour. I like the thickness of it, the strings are just too far apart for me.

3. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    It will still have the wider feel that the P has if you slot the nut. The neck will still be the same width it was before you slotted a new nut. Also if you slot the nut it will bring the strings in over the pickup and they won't be aligned the same (if that makes a difference to you). It may work for you. I'm sure someone has done that before too.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Change the neck. Keep eye out for nice alternative to warmouth for lower cost neck replacement.

5. Neck, if what you're after is for a jazz feel neck. You can get a mighty-mite for about 100.