1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new neck or pickups??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Mar 30, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I have the money to buy practically any bass i want( i have a crappy squier right now), but my parents won't let me spend the money on buying a new bass but what they will allow me to do is put some money toward the squier. I was thinking of either putting in some new pickups or a new neck. I don't want to spend more than $200 other than on the neck ill spend a little more if its worth it. I think you get what you pay for.

Pickups- Looking for something that fatten up the bass leave the mmids alone and (not sure if possible or makes sense) change the higher notes to a lower freq. and boost that.

Neck- pretty much the same thing exept i want it bright but at a low freq. again. I don't know if a neck can make that much differance. I have been looking at getting a warmoth??

Assembly- I have enver replaced pickups or a neck? How hard is it to do? Can i do myself? If i can't how much will it cost to get the pickups/neck put in(about). thanxs

2. why wont they let you buy a new bass? just tell them you'll sell your squier (if you want to) if they wont let you have more than 1. i dont see the point in not letting you get a new one

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't bother with the neck, but I would take a chance on replacing the pickup. I'd try a 62 reissue P bass.

4. Buy a Warmoth neck, and later, buy a new body! And later hardware, all the best!

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    sell the squier, and buy a matching reissue fender bass. dont think anyone who isnt a bass player will notice.

6. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    My parents won't let me buy a neck because they said they would buy it for if i get good grades(not happening). So they want to use it as an insentive so i do good in school and i do try.

I think im going to get a new neck. I have been looking at warmoth. What woods should i get for the tone im looking for(first post)

7. Well, honestly, you should get some new pick ups. They will change your sound more than a new neck will, and you can get some really nice pups for less than $200, as opposed to getting a decent neck for $200. But, you said you won't spend more than $200, so the only Warmoth option you have is maple/maple. :confused:

8. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Dude. I'm sure you try in school.

But the new DiMarzio's or Seymour Duncans pups will drastically improve your sound. A new neck will look smooth but the sound improvement will be marginal.

Go for the pups or go to detention! j/k ;)

9. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    i'll spend more if my parents let me. I was looking at warmoth and a pretty good neck was just south of $300 USD. I don't think its to much but it would make my bass look cool

Well my neck pretty crappy and its really slow. A new neck would let me play better and faster with my bass sounding better and looking better.
    Or i could get pickups and a pickguard and ill get sounding better but not faster.

I see it like this now
    1.) Better sounding
    2.) Playability/style
    3.) cheap

i can pick only two of those three and its pretty close.

10. So you're still not gonna go for the pups? :meh: You really should. If you have a J- or a P-bass, your playability won't change much if you get a new neck, I don't think.

11. I wouldn't go pouring money (especially more than the bass is worth!) into a "cheap" bass. There's only so much you can "upgrade" before you run into the issue of "it is what it is." In other words, a plywood body made of mystery wood can only be made to sound so good.

If you're really into the idea of upgrading something, the pickups would be the most logical choice.

12. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    So if i do get pickups hows should they be active or passive?

And will i need to get a new circut?

13. maybe you should slap on a set of reverend pups, $18 (if its a p, and still pretty cheap if its a j) and then save up another $20 AND buy a new neck :D

problem solving :p

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Any money spent on a bass you evidently don't really like is money that would be better spent on a bass you do like, and you can sell the one you have now.

That said, if you get replacement pickups you can always swap them out when you do get something else.

15. Yeah I agree with Akami on this one you probably don't want to drop to much money into a bass that stinks over all.

If you do though get Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders they range from $50 to $65 bucks depending on the dealer and they will drastically change your sound.

I had a mexican made p-bass that I worked up...new pickups, tunning machines, etc. However the funny thing was it sounded better but it didn't sound like an american p-bass should sound (which is my main bass) even though it had all the upgrades. So just beware that upgrading this bass wont change the fact that its a squier.

Peace...

16. I don't want to sound rude or anything, but you're gonna waste your money. maybe you could buy new pick-ups. but any upgrade more than 50 $ is a total waste of money. If you stick with playing bass you are going to get a new bass. Squier is an entry level brand all on them is cheap, there's nothing of good quality on a squier they are guitars made to be affordable for people to start on and see if they like playing that instrument. so buying a new neck that'll probably cost you the same price as the bass is throwing your money out the window. Your parents are going to let you buy another bass one day or another. and trust me in a few years or months when you get a new bass, you'll realise how much it's better than your first one even if you put 400$ into it a squier is a squier and will always be. but you're the boss you do what you want with you're money...

17. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    i think im going to Dimazrio split P pickups. You guys are right droppping $300 on a crappy would be kinda pointless and $70 on pickups is a little more reasonable.

EDIT: The idea just popped in my head. Get a preamp. I could use it with a new bass as well. I haven't really fiddled around with one. Which would make a bigger tonal differance pickups or preamp/D.I

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Definately get an outboard preamp. It will seriously improve the tone of your instrument, and you can use it with any bass in the future.

I don't doubt that you try, but the best thing to do for you and your future would be to put your nose to the grindstone and work your a$$ off to get those grades up. Then your folks will buy you a new bass... you can drop your own money on a killer amp setup...you can take those good grades to Berkley school of music (or somesuch place)...become a professional bassist...make a living doing what you love...

and it all starts now!

Good grades will take you alot more/better places than an upgraded squire. Of course there are exceptions, but the odds on that end are alot like getting to play pro ball.