Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Can anyone offer advice on the following? I'd like to replace my fretted neck with a fretless neck. I don't want to tear the frets off of my existing neck because I want to keep it and put it back on the bass if I wish. The bass is a '96 Hamer Cruise 5; the body is a lot like a Fender Jazz. I contacted Hamer, and they want to charge an arm and a leg for a custom job.

Ideas?

2. I'm surprised Hamer even quoted you a price since they stopped making bolt-on instruments years ago. You could always go to somebody like US Masters but your best bet might be to just buy a fretless Hamer CruiseBass 5 off e-Bay. I'd say you'd be looking at $500 - $700 and you could sell the body, electronics and the hardware to recoup some of your investment (or you could keep both basses intact).

3. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
  4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    A better question is, will it fit the neck pocket? remember, warmoth makes fender replacement parts. PM bwbass, he works for warmoth and might be able to tell you if their necks will fit.
    installation is easy.

5. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Well, I've contacted Warmouth, and they aren't sure that their necks will match up. My neck at the butt is about 70mm, whereas theirs, I believe is 74.

Other ideas?

BTW - John Paul, my dog looks uncannily like yours. Odd.