Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CrowHappening, Feb 26, 2002.

1. CrowHappening

CrowHappening

Jul 15, 2000
    I have a second hand Squier p bass. The last time I took it in to have the neck adjusted, the tech told me that the truss rod was turned all it was gonna turn. Ever. And then he did his level best to sell me a new bass.

Is replacing the neck the best solution for this bass? I'd like to do the work myself, but I don't know where to start. Where does one get neck blanks? How do I know I'm getting the correct one? Where can I find instructions on installing it? This bass is not particularly precious to me, though it is my only one. Right now it is almost unplayable. If I can fix it, not only will I have my bass back, I'll have valuable experience. If I screw it up, I'll still have the experience, plus a wonderful excuse to go shopping.

Thanks for your advice,
    CH

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  3. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'd go with a warmoth...just go to thier site and read up on thier necks, they are indestructable, no dead spots, and are made with care. I just bought a 86' MIJ alder P-Bass and when I scrounge up the $ will put a Warmoth fretless maple on it. Warmoth responded to about 4 e-mails I sent to them packed with questions, they responded to each a day later...good outfit.

Klark Kent

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    C.H., I suggest that you get a second opinion on repairing what you have.

If the nut on the truss rod has chewed up the wood, that is usually pretty easy to repair.

If the nut has bottomed out or ran out of threads, a couple of washers under the truss rod nut should give you some more adjustment.

If the truss rod nut turns freely, the truss rod is probably broken and a new neck probably would be your best bet.

The fact that your repairman was more interested in selling you a new guitar than in explaining exactly why he couldn't repair it would make me a little suspicious.

Good luck, Pkr2

5. CrowHappening

CrowHappening

Jul 15, 2000
    Y'know, it never occured to me to question the diagnosis. First thing I'll do is find a reputable tech, and see what the actual story on it is.

Yep Klark, I too liked what Warmoth had to say. If it ends up that I still can't have the neck fixed, I'm gonna start saving for one of theirs.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

CrowHappening