New Need Help! With Ampeg Head and Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Storm Shadow, May 26, 2012.

1. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

May 26, 2012
    NC
    So, I am running a Ampeg PF-500 with a Ampeg PR410H and jazz bass with passive pick ups. When i play at low volumes under 12o'clock on the volume and under 12o'clock on the gain the head sounds fine, but when i go over or attack really hard on the strings its sounds like it clips and cuts out sometimes it may have something like a beeping going on also, but when i turn the volumes down it goes away. The Head is 500w at 4ohm and 300 at 8ohm and cab is 600w at 8ohm. I'm not really sure what is going on with it and thought one of you guys may know. The PF-500 is new for the most part and the cab is a few years old, could the PF-500 just be to strong for the cab i had the same problem before with a Head and Cab.

2. Dunno about the distortion but the head has been reported to cut out if driven too hard and some early ones were unreliable. Search on TB and you'll find a lot of info.

If yours is one with issues, others report that Ampeg has been great at resolving issues under warranty.

3. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

May 26, 2012
    NC
    Would adding another cab say a 1x15 or 2x10 help with it over working it self? I thought maybe since i was running one 8ohm and every i have talk to are running two cabs or one 4ohm cab that maybe that could help.

4. Another 410 the same as you have would work,

5. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

May 26, 2012
    NC
    I took it back! I got a Markbass SD800 and should have done that in the first place. I had the Markbass Little Mark III before and it never let me down, but I was really just trying to do something different with my sound. So far almost every Ampeg I have tried besides the SVT-7 Pro and the SVT Classic has been a let down. I bought a SVT-3 Pro a few years back and with in a week i had taken it back cause it stop working and got the Little Mark. I guess my run with Ampeg is not so good, but i do love their cabs and have never had a problem with them.

6. Ain't nuthin wrong with Markbass. Hope it goes well for ya.

7. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    Keep in mind that your Ampeg 410 will probably only handle around 300W RMS before it hits it's displacement limits - then the speakers will bottom out and fart.

The 600W rating is based on the thermal limits for the drivers - the limit at which the voice coils will melt but it will run out of steam long before then it terms of making a decent bass sound.

This is a common problem with most speaker cab ratings and proves that wattage ratings are not the useful info we really want when considering which cabs to buy.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Actually Ampeg back then never used thermal limits for power handling quotes. They still don't to a large extent, though they do on some of their newer design cabs.

9. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

May 26, 2012
    NC
    I been playing around with it for the past day and as long as i keep the gain from clipping with my master any where from 7 0'clock to 2 o'clock which is plenty of loud at 2 o'clock it does fine. I'm going to try to add a 1x15 or a 2x10 to this set up, but if i can find a 6x10 for a good price I'm going with that. Also picking up a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI or the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver Programmable, BBE Sonic Maximizer, and a rack tuner not sure of the brand. I used to have something kinda like this on my Little Mark, but i had the Sansamp Bass Driver DI, Boss TU-2, and a 8x10 Peavey TVX. I'm just trying to switch a few things over to the rack to clear up some room on my pedal train. Anyone have any insight on the gear I'm looking to pick up?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A 115 or 210 will be useless with the PF410HLF. And even if it wasn't, the PR410HLF is a 4 ohm cab, not 8, and you can't add a second cab to it with a PF500.

I think you just have a head that's not working right.

11. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

May 26, 2012
    NC
    I have the PR410H not the HLF and the PR410H is a 8ohm cab 600watt or programble 1200. I took the Ampeg PF500 and went back to Markbass i got the SD800. So why would a 1x15 or a 2x10 be useless?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oops! Sorry...

Well anyway, a 410 can beat the snot out of a 115 or 210 for output, and while sometimes a mixed rig can work well, the behavior of non-matching cabs paired together is very unpredictable, and it's just as likely to give you poor sound as good. Yes, I know many famous bassists do it, but IMHO there are a lot more valid reasons against doing it than for.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021