Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW NIRVANA!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick man, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Attention all TalkBassers!

A new Nirvana song has just been released!

Reportedly, the track tittled "You Know You're Right" was taken without permision and released.

Whether this is a clever marketing technique or true remains to be seen, but it is clear that this song rocks!

For those who dont know, Nirvana's remaining members, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, have been in court wirth Courtney Love for more than a year debating ownership rights of the last recorded Nirvana material. This material was meant to be part of a box set released in 2001. While Grohl and Novoselic argue that they co-wrote the songs and thus belong to him, Love claims ownership by stating that because Kurt did not make a will, she inherits his possesions. That includes song rights.

The main issue was supsoedly that the new material has some less than flatering comments about Ms. Love in them. I could definetly hear that in "You Know Youre Right."

It seems as though a fan was able to sneak past Love's icy grip and get some of what the public was meant to hear to their ears.

When a local radio station played it two days ago they imediately recieved a fax ordering them to stop. I heard it again tonight on the way home:D . Its all ovee the internet;Nirvana fans will not settle for less.

It seems that the record people have realized that, and and has now announced that the rest of the box set will be released in time for the holidays.

They will make alot of money.

Well I think Im done.

GO DOWNLOAD THE SONG NOW!

IT ROCKS!

Peace
    Nick

2. I heard it too, at first I thought, "Oh no, grunge is coming back!"

3. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i wish courtney love would just go away once and for all

her only argument in this whole mess has been that she owns kurt's material since she was married to him... meanwhile KRIS AND DAVE WERE IN THE FREAKING BAND!!! it seems obvious who should be controlling the music, and it is also obvious that courtney's only interest in the song rights are for her own monetary gain. Kris and Dave want to release the material so that their fans can hear the music they want to hear... its the proper thing to do. Love, on the other hand, wants to make as much money as possible off kurt's legacy by releasing one song on a greatest hits album, then releasing other material from the vault slowly in order to make more cash off it... Kris and Dave just want the stuff to be released for the fans (and yes, they will make money off of it, but not as much as courtney will when she squeezes every last drop of cash out of kurt's corpse)

the right thing is obvious. Let the band members have control of their own music, and allow them to release it to the fans. DO NOT let a greedy meddling wife who had no hand in the creation of the music to have control over art that doesn't belong to her so she can rip off her dead husband's fans by releasing one new song at a time on greatest hits albums

4. Kurt didn't make a will so Courtney gets all his possesions including song rights? Since when did the lead singer own the whole song?

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    since he wrote the lyrics and the music is when.

don't be mistaken, the whole "courtney vs. dave-n-krist" started way back even when kurt was alive. kurt and courtney hardly even TALKED to dave and krist after nevermind came out. nirvana was on the verge of an official break-up before kurt died (which, i suppose, was a breakup by default).

krist and dave's influence over nirvana was pretty minimal when the band existed as a music-making entity.

i completely understand where courtney is coming from, but i don't think that just b/c she is the inheritor of kurt's estate should make her the sole representative of nirvana.

at least they reached a compromise (afaik).

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think releasing some song found from some rehearsal tapes or something doesen't make it "new" - it's just unpublished old song, usually of poor quality and ends up on some expanded collection to draw fanatic fans to buy a record they have owned before.

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I am really excited about this thing, we've been hearing rumors about this box set since after "muddy banks of the wishkah" came out. Hopefully the box set comes out and not just a CD with unreleased songs on it. I WANT THE BOX haha. Nirvana has been my favorite band, and one of my major influences on playing, and one of the things that started me to play. But yeah, Courtney I think either gave up, or she was beaten out, of they settled on something.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "you know you're right" was the last song nirvana recorded.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Download it.

"You Know Youre Right" by Nirvana

Its a studio recording that they were working on about 3 months before Kurt killed himself. Its not poor quality at all.

I have had a live bootlegged version of the song for a while now (Called Autopilot/On a Mountain because of Kurt mumbling the osngs name before playing it.), but only recently did I get the studio version which is amazing.

Check it out so you know what yuo are talking about before you do start talking about it.

Peace
    Nick

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont just get excited, DL IT!

Peace
    Nick

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While it is true that he did do the majority of the songwritting, I am sure that Krist and Dave helped out alot.

Smells Like Teen Spirit is actually listed as being written by all three of them.

In the end what I believe it come sown to is a question of who wrote more of the song. Courtney, or Krist and Dave.

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You should DL it.

It sounds incredibly modern. It would fit in well on the radio today, except it doesnt suck.

Its a killer song that sounds really modern, I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but its true.

Sorry if im comming across as pushy, but this song really rocks.

Peace
    Nick

13. that songs on one of the five outcestiside CDs. if you can get your hands on that set, you'll almost every version of every nirvana song in existence.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Studio recording?

Ive seen several and know a guy in texas with an incredible amount of bootlegged nirvana.

Peace
    Nick

15. thanks for the breaking news, but there's been a thread about it in recordings for a while now. ;)

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry, I didnt know.

As a matter of fact I even looked for one to make sure I didnt start an unnesscesary thread.

Who woulda guessed that a thread about a newly released recording would be found in the recordings forum?:rolleyes:

Peace
    Nick

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry for appearing like a prick, but I have seen all these "now with one new song!"-collections from just about any famous band - I'm not protesting against Nirvana specifically, but I'm betting that similar album will be launched because of this piece too.

Thank god for internet where we can download all these "lost tapes" not having to buy half of the artist's production again.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its all good.

I know what you're talkin about, I just wanted to point out that this isnt oneof those situations.

I have several CD's worth of bootlegged live Nirvana performances, most of the songs arent even on any cd's. I fairly sure from what Ive read that whats going to be released consist largely of unreleased studio tracks.

If you havent given it a listen, I strongly suggest you do. You'll be glad you did. :D

Peace
    Nick

19. nope, there's lots of unreleased material.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you have alot of it?

I lost my collection recently.:(

PM me or just respond here if youd like. I just wanna recover.

Peace
    Nick