Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 30, 2002.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Did any one hear the new nirvana song. Their were a great band but lately i have been listining to a lot of STP and i realize how limited Kurt was on guitar. I hope their are more new realeses to come . Todays music needs a Nirvana to get it out of this dump with all this rap hip hop machine crap. It isint even music that is just the way i feel.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, Kurt was a terrible guitarist and a terrible singer. He was a good songwriter though. I just feel that this new Nirvana release is just a big money making venture by the record company though.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I said almost the same thing to my wife the other night as I watched a Nirvana documentary. However, my ire was aimed at Brittany Aguilera and the O-BackSync Boyz II Men.

But I'll gladly agree with you about the seemingly endless barrage of copycat rap-metal bands.

Nirvana pulled us out of the funk that was the mid-to-late 80s (with help from Jane's Addiction who acted as the bridge between early 80s punk and early 90s grunge).
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Well of course it is, Courtney's behind it;)
  5. incorrect. just because you are not a chops-monster doesn't make you "terrible." i never heard him make a mistake, and furthermore, he had great tone.
  6. The "new" single off Nirvana's recent compulation sucks.

What's worse is the video.

Looks like a 6th grader did the editing.

Pathetic Money Grab.

Soon they'll be releasing Kurt's private Journals.

Guess Cortney needs the money for new Versace underwear.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think that whoever decided to release the greatest hits cd really, REALLY f'ed up.

to me, it doesn't make ANY SENSE to release a cd full of songs that have been available on four cds for nearly 8 years, plus a new one.

they ought to have released a cd with at least a few more obscure "hits" like "sappy/verse-chorus-verse" et al.

remember last year the beatles' "one" cd? even though i didn't get that one, at least it made more sense to culminate all their most popular songs off of nearly ten cds and put them into one, to help new fans off.

in contrast, a new nirvana fan would only need to buy two studio albums, and maybe one live album, to get the vast majority of the band's great songs.

that and the new "journals" do NOT impress me. last year, a very good biography was released. in this bio (charles cross's heavier than heaven), he used kurt's journals a primary source of info. if one already read this, there is no point in getting the same info over again. and not to mention invasion of privacy issues.

his widow just does not seem to be doing the right things.
  8. I think that we are missing the point of the whole impact that Nirvana had. . .as well as vastly overestimating both courtney love AND the record company.

First of all. . .Nirvana was, even in spite of it's best efforts, a pop band. No, it was not the processed, regurgitated overdone crap that we usually think of as "pop" music, but the impact that it had was to change the whole direction of what music was being played on the radio, shown on MTV, and listened to by 14 year old kids. . .Nirvana, grunge music, and the grunge image became THE fad of the early 90's. . .just the same way that when you think of the 50's you think of rockabilly, the 60's you think of hippie music, the 70's--disco, the 80's either synth pop or pop metal. . .

Yes, Cobain was not a great guitarist, nor a great singer and, in my opinion, not even really that great of a songwriter (he demonstrates poor insight into melody construction and harmonic progression. . .the songs are "thrown together" and tend to show little originality), but he pretty much single handedly made kids for the next 10 years stop combing their hair. he had a power, charisma, and showmanship that made him something special.

As far as the reputed poor quality of the compilation, song, video, etc. . .

Courtney Love and the record company want to make money. . plain and simple. . .that is what they are in it for. If they thought that they could exhume his body and sell bits of rotten flesh wrapped in moldy flannel, they would. . .that is the nature of record companies, it is what they do. We all know that and none of us should be suprised by that. Likewise, that is the nature of hardcore drug addicts (whether they are actively using or not). . .they use people.

9. I feel bad for Kurt, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing he didn't want to happen with Nirvana....I doubt many of the people who listen to his music actually understand where he's coming from and just like it because prissy music critics say its brilliant, and because of the 3 or 4 songs they've heard that they think are cool and feel they need to impress people with their "rebel renaissance" persona.

At least when the Sex Pistols toured they were willing to admit it was a shoddy, money-making scandal, now its just like people are buying one big dead rebellion with a dollar sign on it....It seems all rock and roll (and other musical) evolutions, after they've fizzled out are set aside in some sort of moratorium. And then they take it out every ten years and sell it back.