Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Noisy Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pontz, Oct 31, 2003.

1. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Hey,

New to the Bass and the forum. Actually I'm a convert, I've been playing guitar for 10 years, recently picked up a bass, and haven't been able to put it down.

My first bass was a short scale Washburn ($75 on ebay), that I bought to put down some grooves to practice guitar over. But I enjoyed playing it so much that before I new it I was playing bass with a couple of bands, and hadn't touched my guitar in months.

So I upgraded to a G&L Tribute. It has a great versitle sound, but it is noisey. By that I mean that a lot of finger noise comes through, and it is not as easy to mute strings. Couls it be that it is a more responsive instrument than I'm used to, or the cheap new strings that I need to replace?

Also, if I switch to flat wounds, should I have the bass set up for the different strings (I don't know !@#$ about setting up an instrument)?

Pontz

2. I'm sure the G&L is more responsive than the cheap Washburn. Also, in a band setting, you probably won't hear the string noise anyway. Generally speaking (there ARE exceptions), flats will have higher string tension so, depending on how level your frets are, you might want lower action.

3. Also on your amps EQ settings, back off the treble a touch and turn up the bass more than you are used to being a guitarist.

:D:D

Merls

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

The G&L has a ton of treble if you have the treble boost on and the treble knob turned up. You may have to set it back some and add some bass to it.

5. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    That's right, the problem is not your new bass, the problem was with your old bass. Lack of treble. Do as Merl told you. Get used to a new EQ setting. The string noise only shows that your amp is probably OK and certainly the new bass as well. Too much treble is allways a matter you can deal with. Lack of treble is a trickier thing.

6. Exactly, its easier to take something away rather than try to add it.

:D:D

Merls

7. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Thanks for the good advice. You're all right on about the treble. My Wahburn sounded horrible unless I had the tone rolled off completely. The G&L Balances out for much nice tones, but it is taking some getting used to.

I ordered some flat wounds this week because I think they offer the sound I'm looking for.

Cheers,

BP