Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (Non Shred/Steve Perry) Prog

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So many art kids got together in the 60-70s and made "prog." Prog back before it mean "this guitar solo is in 17/16 and this guitar solo is in 47/8." There is so much good early Prog. Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, etc...

What is the modern rendition of this style of prog?

To beat everyone to the punch: I know the Mars Volta exsists.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Check out Spock's Beard, kinda cool retro-70's prog rock, without overt pretension.

:cool:

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ever heard of Dredg? They are like prog-lite.

4. Many people consider Coldplay to be prog and they fit those requirements. However I consider Coldplay to be crap! :D

And just as well , anything Mike Patton has done can be considered prog, he is very proggressive. Ozric Tentacles.......but sometimes they turn into a crappy jam band.

Opeth's new album is very proggish and doesnt have a whole lot of " look at me i can shred" moments .Very good .

Cant think of many more , Im not "hip" on modern prog, Im still in the old stuff. Youd be suprised how many good prog bands there were that never got very big.

For some good oldies , check out Mythos, Warhorse(features a very young Rick Wakeman) Stray, Arc,Tjader, Argent, and Wild Turkey.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Prog, as the prog kids know it, is dead. The rule today is: Sound like Dream Theater or Yes, or else you suck.

There is still music out there that I would consider progressive in some ways, like Garbage, BEP, Chroma Key, Blink 182 (yes, their last album was progressive), etc. They all did different things with music that drew from different inspirations but sounded very different. But the artists that come to mind when you say "prog" today are not progressive at all. They recycle old ideas from Dream Theater, Yes, and Spock's Beard (who are musically like Yes, but lyrically very original).

6. Mmmmmmm.

I've heard Coldplay called many things, but "prog" is NOT one of them.

"Crap", however, most certainly is.

:D :D :D :D

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I used to hate Coldplay too.

But now I love them.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Hmmm, I saw them live at the 930 Club in DC and I didn't get that from them.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The Flower Kings can capture that classic 70's prog vibe too.

So can Transatlantic, which is an amalgamation of members from other bands already mentioned (The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, and Marillion). Well, "could" is probably more accurate than "can" since Neal Morse left the band a while back.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My keyboardist tried to turn me onto these guys via a recent live DVD. No offense intended to anyone (certainly not to dave), but it was probably the cheesiest thing I've witnessed, music-wise in the past 15 years. The lead singer actually "acted out" some of the lyrics, pointing to the sky, putting his hand over his brow to "peer", etc.

I became embarrassed and i lunged for the DVD player. Plus, the bassist had that cliched mid-rangey, Chris Squire tone and it almost seemed Spinal Tap-esque.

They are talented, but yeesh - do they have to be so cheesey?

Anywho, I'll toss Tool out there as a band that probably shouldn't be categorized in any manner, but that exhibits elements of prog, i guess.

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Old Phish! Seriously, lots of old Phish songs were very proggy and even classical. They started to calm down a little as they got older but, wow - you'd be blown away. I don't feel like typing out a huge list of songs but I will if someone wants to hear 'em...

12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Dillinger Escape Plan, Into the Moat (Even though the music is crap). Opeth are amazing!

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    None taken. Glad to see you putting your money where your mouth is with respect to your signature. :D

Actually, I've never seen the DVD but I do have their live CD so I've never seen that hokey stuff. Sometimes they can sound kind of soft and almost "pop", but there are other times when they're simply fantastic and, as I said, capture the 60's and 70's prog sound pretty well.

I gave The Flower Kings a shot after buying the Transatlantic DVD, which I found after getting into Dream Theater and Spock's Beard. I still have to go check out some Marillion (who wants to recommend me some?) to round out the Transatlantic members.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Basically, I want to be in a band that sounds like "Selling England by the Pound" by Genesis. But that's just me wanting to rip off something obscure that could be popular, but nobody my age knows about it.

I'll have to check some of this stuff out. I should have added "I know Opeth exsists." :D

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Some great prog bands not already mentioned...

IQ
    Ayreon
    RPWL
    Arena
    Karmakanic
    Kaipa

I'm surprised Operation Mindcrime (Queensryche) hasn't been mentioned yet - a great prog / concept album.

For a pretty comprehensive list of prog bands there is no better site IMO than

www.progarchives.com

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Fugazi
    Script For A Jester's Tear
    Misplaced Childhood
    Clutching At Straws

...in other words, as SMASH said, the whole Fish-era catalog. Great stuff! (I'd probably start with Misplaced Childhood, although Clutching At Straws is my personal favorite)

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Porcupine Tree and Marillion are a couple of my favorite "newer" (post-'70s) prog bands. Prog-metal bands (ie Dream Theater) never appealed to me that much (Porcupine Tree gets a little heavy at times, but not into 240bpm kick drum territory.)

I'll still always love the classic early '70s stuff, when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were still in Genesis, and Yes hadn't yet started singing about arriving UFOs and saving the whales. ;)

And then there's Rush.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'd argue that a "Steve Perry Prog" album. It's still better than Dream Theater.

Thanks for the website though. :hyper:

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my mind Tool is extremely progressive, as are Meshuggah, Opeth, Porcupine Tree... and I'm warming up to the Mars Volta as well.

I always have to chuckle when I hear the argument that the aforesaid bands "aren't prog" - merely because they don't sound like a derivative of Yes, ELP, or any other "classic" prog band.

See Daniel Webster's definition of progressive, that should help explain the lack of similarity between these bands and the past, as well as each other.