Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Nordstrand JJ pickups? (from the valenti 5 string thread)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Jun 11, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Are these actual JJ pickups and not merely dual coil pickups? Are they able to go series/parallel/single coil? What is the cost (whoever has them may PM me to keep the mods at bay). Awesome looking pickups. I have been looking for those for a while and didn't see any that I liked (for one reason or another).

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    wow, it is amazing what someone can find out doing a google search... :rolleyes:

sorry

I will leave this open though to draw attention to these pickups and to ask another question.

If I am looking for a tone resembling a classic jazz bass sound (when coil tapped), would the parallel version work better?

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    They look bigger than Jazz p/ups.

At Nordstrand's website, there is a section for these, I believe they are, "Signature."

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

they appear to be the width of side by side jazz pickups (JJ/ JJ) which is what I thought. Similar to the aero or rio grande. I didn't mean regular single coil jazz.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Gotcha.

It seems as though you've already found out what you needed to know though, great.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    it says they recommend not trying the parallel version in series mode. I was thinking of series/parallel/single coil instead of just parallel/single coil. Would this be possible? Would the series sound even be usable?

-edit-

2nd question:

Can THG Knobs make wooden covers for these? Are the pickups sealed (unable to change covers)?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    carey@nordstrandguitars.com :)

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

jeez...what a crazy idea...email the manufacturer

:oops:

thanks

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If I knew the best answer, I'd give it to you but I'd ratehr not steer you in the wrong direction.

The green P5 has the Series DC. The out put in DC mode is alot more powerful then in SC Mode.

The Natural J5 for Poon has the Parallel DC's. The DC mode is still a little more powerful then SC mode but not as much as the Series pickups.

I haven't wires any of the pickups in Series/SC/Parallel mode. I think you would need the Series pickups for this wiring option.