New Nut for Epoxied Fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Since i am nearing the last coats of epoxy on my project bass and i will need a new nut, will i find myself having problems if i buy a preslotted jazz nut? I dont know how much exactly the epoxy raised the fingerboard hight, but i was just wondering if this will pose a problem?
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Fretless nuts are usually cut down until the strings contact (or nearly contact) the fingerboard. I doubt the thickness added by the epoxy will change the need to deepen the nut slots. You can pick up a set of needle files from your local hardware store for a few bucks that should do a fine job.

3. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i make all my nuts from ebony or vintage (tinted) bone.

its easy to make them ... just make sure u file on the right sides to compensate for the thickness of the strings. as for depth of the slots, use trial and error till u get what u desire.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    if you cut a little too deep you can fill with slow set super glue...t
  5. senrats

Apr 1, 2006
    Roswell, GA
    Does anyone sell preslotted nuts for fretless j basses?
  6. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    I actually picked mine up on ebay. It was a preslotted TUSQ nut, and it worked well on the fretless, i just had to put a tiny shim under it.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    If you find that a preslotted-for-fretted nut is too high for the fretless, rather than take all for slots lower with the proper files, you should be able to at least get close to perfect by gradually removing material from the underside, lowering all four grooves at once.
  8. senrats

Apr 1, 2006
    Roswell, GA
    I would be afraid of messing up the radius on the bottom. Better to keep it fitting and remove a little from the slots.