Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Nut for SX Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 555, Sep 9, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
  2. In a word - No.

The Essex/SX basses have what could be described as a Fender style "B" width neck. They use this same dimension on all of the basses - P's and J's. So for your "J" this would be the equivalent of 1/16" short on both sides.

3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K

So i will need a nut that is 1/16" length wide?

4. What you should do is start with a nut "blank". That is a piece that is wider than your neck and is shaped to fit your particular use. You can buy these from www.stewmac.com or www.lmi.com.

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    "B" width?

I thought Fender J's are 1 1/2" and P's are 1 5/8". The Rondo Music website says the SX necks are 1 11/16" but the neck on my "SPB-62" measures 1 9/16" at the nut.

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I measured the length and height of the existing nut on my SX j bass, measurements are:

L = 4.2 cm
    H = 0.6 cm

Found a nut form graphtech that will fit although the nut will be taller in height than the current one. I forgot to measure the width, will do it later on today when i am at home.

7. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    It sounds like you're going to change a nut.

Be careful. I think the SX nuts are encased on both sides by the fretboard. You'll likely have to tap the nut out gently from the side. Be careful not to damage the fretboard, but the nut may lift a little and you could pry it out. Sometimes the nuts are set in with a little glue.

Before installing the new nut make sure the groove is clean and square. A small piece of sandpaper and a tiny chisel will work. Be sure to tap the new nut in square.

You're nut measures 4.2 cm? I think that's about 1 5/8".

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert but if you search this forum you'll find better advise than mine.