1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new Octobasse

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kev2007, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I've always wondered what one of those would sound like up close and personal.

2. Wow, that is awesome.

"that's not a doghouse, that's a flippin' guesthouse.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's a heck of a bass! But I think the most impressive thing in his gallery is the three dimensional carved Ivory soundhole decoration in the lute.........absolutely stunning.

4. LOL - it's beautiful, but I can't look at those tuning pegs without laughing. :D

I wish there were some sound clips (maybe there are but I'll be dam*ed if I can translate enough to decipher the site.)

5. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    How useful could those possibly be? Haha. Yeah those tuning pegs are a laugh!

Unbelievable.

6. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    The historical basses that this is modelled after were built a couple hundred years ago, were they not? Or a little less?

Did the original ones have those levers on the side? I seem to recall they took two guys to play one instrument-- one to finger, and one to bow....

I'll bet those pegs are a bear to turn. I notice there is some sort of fine tuner at the bottom, as well. What a monster...but it looks intriguing, too. With no market for them, I doubt there will be a rush to produce them. Is there even still music written to include them?

7. Here's part of a post from the Italian chap who I got the link from originally:

"It's an exact copy of Vuilamme's Octobasse used in Berlioz.

There's a system of mechanics really incredible. The sound is so low, that sometimes it's difficult to listen the bass C or B or A. But the effect is "Big". We are at the limits of human perception of a sound, a bass sound. But, togheter with normal doublebasses the effect is wonderful.

The only way to carry it is to divide it in two parts and then rebuilds it. Naturally people laughes when they see this immense instrument, but listening Berlioz with it is an incredible thing and marvellous experience, expecially in an ancient church with the natural reverber."

Sounds cool! I'd like to know where they get the strings.

8. got to give a shoutout for the Harley T..;)
    one man guild!

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Wow! Image 21 is amazing! How does he do that?!

I love Arabic music, and own an oud from Egypt. They often have beautiful carved rosettes, but that is the most elaborate that I've ever seen.

10. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    holy mackerel ... imagine taking one of these on stage with you

[​IMG]

There's some lovely work on that site.

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The guy is obviously an amazingly talented genius.

I say we should have a TalkBass Field Trip to go and visit him in the Puglia Region of Italy! Any chance of government sponsorship, do you think? :)

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Amazing looking work. A bass I've only read about in size. I'd love it if he offered sound samples of it so we can really get an idea of how it sounds. :)