1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Old Amp Day - 1975 Fender Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bray101, Jun 1, 2014.

1. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Picked up this really clean, newly serviced Bassman 100 this afternoon.

Just got it hooked up to my Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 412. Awesomely awesome!

Need to get new speakers in my Sunn 215s to try it next.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401674342.865051.

webmonster, SunnBass and Tbone76 like this.
  2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Nice! What was done to it before you picked it up?

3. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    From the tech who did it: "Hum balance pot replaced. 4 screen resistors, 3 plate resistors replaced. jacks, switches, pots cleaned. Transformers re-torked. Tubes rebiased."

Tubes were replaced by precious owner and weren't used more than 50 hours or so since.

Sounds awesome.

4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Ahhh, nothin' beats a good old-fashioned re-torking.

5. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Haha! I was thinking the same thing.

SunnBass likes this.
  6. Hi.

Congrats on the NAD.

What about the capacitors?

Those are usually the first ones to be replaced on old amps.

I've been a tube head from the late 80's, and hence almost too embarassed to ask something probably trivial, but WTH is re-torking transformers?

Regards
    Sam

7. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio

The caps all tested good and didn't need changed. That may need done at some point in the future, but the tech said that he saw nor reason to change them as they all were in spec and functioning perfectly. I also do not know if they were already changed at some point before I came into the picture, which is a very good chance.

As for the transformer torque, I am not sure. That was just listed by the tech on the work order. I did some research, and I can find some stuff, but nothing in terms I understand. haha. Im sure someone will chime in here if it indeed exists.

8. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

Nov 13, 2008
    Vacaville CA
    You should be very happy with the Bassman 100. I have used a '65 Showman over 2 D140 JBL's for many years. I have other amps to use as a back up (SVT Pro 3 and Sunn Model T) but have never had to use them. I hope you have many years of good times with your Bassman.

9. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    My guess would be he found a loose mounting screw and tightened it...

10. Hi.

Sounds reasonable, even though they're not THAT expensive, needlessly replacing them is often done to jack up the repair bill...

Rest assured, the caps are not original, original ones would not have tested good.

:D, probably, but why even bother mentioning it is beyond me. If it's indeed that what he did.
    The fasteners on the bell/dish ends of small EI transformers tend to work themselves loose if the threads are coarse and there's no washers and/or thread lock, but going through those is usually done without a second thought.

Regards
    Sam

11. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    These seem to be available for not too much coin, and they're hand wired to boot! The old Silverface Bassman series amps don't seem to get a ton of love, but I think they're under-rated. I started with a Bassman10 combo, and it sounded pretty good on it's own, but when I hooked it to a proper bass cabinet it just sang! The shop I bought it at had a '68 Bassman 50 watt head, so I returned the combo and took the '68 home. I'm running it thru a Hartke AK115 cab, and it's got vintage tone for days. Congrats!
    Here's mine:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401748908.871579.

12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    +1
    My first "real" amp nearly 40 years ago was a silver-face Bassman 50 (driving a similar vintage Dual Showman cab with JBLs) and to this day I still kick myself for selling it. What a sound!

13. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Sounds sweet! I think they're a relatively inexpensive way to get into tube amps, and I don't have any complaints about the sound, either. They seem to be like the 70's Traynor tube amps in that regard. Not trying to hijack the thread, just happy to see the Silverface amps getting some love!