New Old Bass Day - Jazz Bass Special 87?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engle, Feb 20, 2017.

1. For some reason I get just as much joy from rescuing an old bass as I do from purchasing one brand new.
    Not that I needed another bass, but I had been thinking it would be cool to have a white P or PJ , so I've been keeping an eye out for a white P body.

Yesterday morning there was a listing on Varagesale for "base guitar" $50. It was a white PJ, with no pickguard. I indicated I was interested and sent my phone #.
    I got a callback while I was busy with other stuff and made arrangements to go check it out. (10 minutes from home) I didn't ask anything but what's the brand? The answer was Fender. At the time I assumed he meant Squier by Fender, but then I thought about it later - Did they make a Squier PJ with no pickguard?

Before heading out, I tried calling the guy back to ask if it was a "Duff" bass and maybe he meant to list it at $500? But he didn't answer.

So I thought i'd just go see - Turned out to be an old Japanese Fender, apparently his buddy listed it for him and it should be $500.

But the bass was in genuinely "road worn" condition and looked like it had been in the back of a garage for 10 years or so. The bridge saddles....well look at the picture.
    The Drop D tuner was bent, so it wouldn't lock. I tuned up the other 3 strings a little high to see how the neck would react and it seemed ok. Hmmm..... maybe salvageable, but not at $500

I told him I was really just looking for a body, but He said to try an offer. Long story short, we settled on $170.

This morning I tried the truss rod and it works. The electronics work except the switch is backwards. I think I can fix the drop D tuner and I have an old black Fernandez bridge. Time to take some alcohol to it!
    File_001.jpeg File_002 (7).jpeg File_003.jpeg File_004.jpeg

Attached Files:

Nocturnal, Miles_ONeal, petch and 6 others like this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    The guy should have paid you 500 for saving it! :thumbsup: maybe his "buddy" listed it that way ;)

upload_2017-2-21_15-43-6.png that's a relic? :D

have fun saving her and play: "I've been mistreated....:bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  3. I got most of crud off it last night and found a really nice jazz neck with a working truss rod. Frets are quite worn, but it's playable.

Nocturnal, Wisebass and Rabidhamster like this.
  4. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Cool man congrats! That's a pretty good deal for a legit Duff McKagan bass. No need for a reissue!

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    sometimes nightshifts pay!:thumbsup:

congrats

may the bass...

Wise(b)ass

6. It would be interesting to know who toured this bass. It has some serious mileage on it! File_000.jpeg

Miles_ONeal and Rabidhamster like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wonder if it's one of Duff's......
    :wideyed:

Seriously, cool bass. Keep us updated.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Man that was treated poorly! Nice score tho. I would just clean it up and play the Hell out of it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022