1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New (old) Kay day!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jmilitsc, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    traded in my 80’s pfretzchner ply today for a 40’s Kay S8 - very psyched! Shed a tear gettin rid of my first upright but this is a great upgrade I think - love how it sounds, and looks too. Whaddya think?

Attached Files:

2. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Hot.

Love Kay's with Ebony fingerboards.

Yours is in great condition too.

I have a '61 kay coming to me in the next few days, I upgraded the rosewood board to Ebony.

I wish you all the best in your musical journey with the new axe!

Jmilitsc likes this.
  3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Looks gorgeous!

4. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    S-8s are cool, the non-blonde version of the more popular S-9 — ebony fingerboard and details, edge and f-hole purfling, horseshoe heel cap, usually carved scroll, nickel tuning plates. The standard finish was light amber with medium amber shading. Starting in '38, Kay made 800-900 of these before the model was discontinued in '54.

Jmilitsc likes this.
  5. Jmilitsc

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    Thx for the comments folks

Oh also, so this bass has a warm, boomy, old school kinda tone to it. Currently has d’addario prelude strings that came with it. was originally gonna put spiro weich’s on there next but now I’m thinking something gut like... I don’t like obligatos, but anyone think of an obvious awesome match for this bass offhand? I think I’d be doing 85% pizz with this bass.

This’ll help my forum searching... thx

6. Jmilitsc

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    Update: Went with Polychromes, first time trying those - really cool strings so far. Great match for this bass.