1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Old Preamp Day

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_Janitor, Feb 13, 2016.

1. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Picked up a Peavey max bass preamp for $25, owner said it "needs work". Took it home, plugged it in to the Altec power amp and got weak distorted output. I was about to pop the top and start cleaning/inspection/troubleshooting when I remembered the TB wisdom regarding dirty effects loop jacks. Patched the loop with a cable and BAM. Works fine, just dirty. 100W tube rig complete!

20160211_210110.

phishaholik and brutalron like this.
  2. You scored!!
    I gladly paid $79 for mine a few years ago (still a steal) after borrowing a friend's to record our last album and getting all positive feedback from the producer & engineers.

The XLR direct output on the back is a little hot even with gains and EQs close to noon/ 0 db, but I have yet to encounter a live sound engineer that couldn't deal with it.

I use both the tube and SS channels combined, which is great when you want some tube dirt without losing clarity and lows.
    My "Blend" control was broken clean off at the base of the shaft but I was able to slot the nub with a Dremel, and leave at at 50/50 when biamping.

Just a great, affordable preamp.
    Congrats!

3. Nice old Altec power amp! Do it a favor and change the power supply caps before they short and fry the power transformer. They are too cool to risk!

4. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Thanks! Got it from a friend that purchased an entire Altec pa (minus speakers) from the local coliseum.

I gave it a full overhaul when I got it, just put the new supply caps inside the chassis and disconnected the cans. Left them there for aesthetic reasons. :)

B-string likes this.
  5. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    $79 is a great deal! I spent some more time with it today and got the tube channel sounding pretty damn good, then blended in the other channel with a low mid boost from the graphic eq, sounded really good. I like the punch button on the tube channel, it works much better than Ampeg's Ultra Lo (though I still love my SVT).

KeithAlanK likes this.