Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Older Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christle, Mar 26, 2004.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Last night I traded my Fury IV for a 1984 Japanese Fender Precison. I have to say I am quite happy with the bass. I love its feel, sound, and its playability. I have to lower the action somewhat to have it suit my playing style, but that is no big deal. Pics are included for you to see. I have always wanted a Fender with a maple neck. I think it is a nice complement to my Japanese Jazz that I also recently acquired.

Dan

2. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks! I am getting some help in Setup so I can best setup it up to my tastes. The big decision is to I put JO flats on it or Labella hard Rockin Steels. I am leaning towards the flats because I already have Blue Steels on my Jazz. I am very excited about this one :D

Dan

3. First off, congratulations on the Precision, Christle.

Secondly, if you're thinking of putting flats on your P-bass, may I suggest a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Bass strings. I like Fender 9050s, and Roto77s, but I just bought a set of these last weekend, and I think they're better than the others.

They're set# 760FL, and they're:
    G - 043
    D - 060
    A - 082
    E - 104

They're bright and lively for flats, and have a VERY smooth feel. I bought them to try on my Stingray, and now it has a bit of thump to it.
    A few guys were talking about flats on a 'Ray, and now I know what they mean. A Stingray + flats = :) Still has the bite, but adds a bit of thump to the equation. They'd probably sound great on a P-Bass.

A few years ago I tried the James Jamerson 1954 set, but found them much too heavy for my taste. I'm glad I gave LaBella another chance.

Just figured I'd pass on my discovery. :)

Mike

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nice! I love the look of the maple neck. I also like that it has the headstock labels they used in the 70s. :cool:

5. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Mike. The reason I was thinking of the JO's was because I already have them. They just didn't work well for the Godin. Interestingly they have almost the same specs as the Labellas you posted. I have used TI's for years but just didn't want to import them from the US again. If I don't like the JO's then I will probably resort to TI's.

Dan

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have to admit I am a sucker for a maple neck. It just looks so good on a Fender.

Dan

7. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a nice axe, there, christie. I was just talking with someone the other day who gave ringing endorsements of his 80's japanese Fenders. And I bet the maple is sweet! I favor the maple neck as well for playability, but there's something to be said for the deepness of the rosewood. The finish you've got there, though -- the maple compliments it. Well done!

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you tried D'Addario Chromes? And if so, how would you compare them to the LaBella's?

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks! I have quite the respect for the Japaneses Fenders. Both of my main axes are MIJ and I have to tell the quality is really there. The maple is really nice and I like the neck shape as well. The color is definitely a plus. I am thinking about changing the pickguard. I can't decide between black or tort.

Dan

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Nice!!
    I to like the neck.

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks. It is really gorgeous. Once I clean it up it will look even better.

Dan

12. No, sorry, I haven't tried the D'Addario Chromes yet. The only flats I have experience with are the Fender 9050s, the Rotosound 77s, the Labella 1954 heavy set, and now these. (760FL)

The Fenders and the Rotos are similar; I feel the Rotos have a brighter sound while the Fenders have a little more thump.

The Labella 1954s had high tension, not a lot of treble, and just didn't feel right to me. The set I'm using now are very lively for a flat sting, and have an extremely smooth feel to them.

So far, so good.

Mike

13. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    I'm using a MIJ '85 as my main bass now, which I recently scored in a trade.I love this thing.It has a great feel, great fat defined tone, and is light. It has the TBX tone control which kind of threw me a curve at first, but I have gotten to really like it. Strung it with Smith Rockmasters, like these really well.These MIJ's are terrrific basses for the money, IMHO.

RED J :D

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Get a black one! IMO it would contrast with the maple neck better.

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hmmm...sounds good doesn't it. I think I will aim to do that this summer. May change the bridge too.

Dan