New OLP - not bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderBoomer, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    I know these don't get a hella lotta respect on these pages, but for a buck-fifty-six shipped and insured off eBay, this thing ain't bad.

The E string sounds boomier than the rest of them, but these strings might've been on there since the factory. Gotta try new ones.

Other than that, sounds nice, plays nice. Build quality appears good although who knows what the guts are really like. Until it breaks I am not gonna find out.

No I am sure it is NOT a real-deal MusicMan. But when I broke into bass playing, you couldn't get anything that could touch this for less than $300 or so and this was 20 years ago.

Blasted CNC machines - they are taking over the world.
  2. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    This is one of the answers why people on the list have so many basses. Because they're out there. Of course oen day they'll take my house but until then, let's play.
  3. Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I LOVE my OLP five string. The only complaint was after a couple of years the nut broke. No biggie though. I used to play a Fender Standard Jazz bass. I prefer my olp by far. FOr the cost of an olp 225.. vs mim 419.00 . The olp has better value IMO. Before a flame war erupts about OLP vs Fender MIM. I would recomend playing the bass you are going to purchase. I have found that the quality of both insruments varies greatly. I hope you enjoy!
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wait one minute. You got it for a $1.56 or $156 on e-bay?

5. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Smokin' deal, huh? ;) :D
  6. please tell me you got the blue one...

I got mine last year.... Had to call around and wait about a month till one store got one in stock but it was black!! it was so ugly i had to cover it with stickers

i ended up changing the nut cause it broke when i tried (stupidly) trying to install a heavier gauge string... on top of that the G string tuner broke with the heavier gauge string =/

all the stock electronics are gone, i went with bartolini ntbt + mmc sounds amazing, i'm sure once i get some new strings it will really shine
  7. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Yup, mine is blue. The pic made it look black but I already have a black bass and the blue is cooler looking so I am glad it is blue.

It is very nice-looking, methinks.

I guess I better not touch the nut, it sounds like it is made of fine china or something. Better watch the string gauge too. You guys are scaring me!