Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new on bass, lost on bass, need of help on bass !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipes on bass, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I want to learn the bass (keep it simple 4 string) I don't know what to get. I was thinkin a little marshal amp, but not sure of guitar ($300 ish US range). My 1 buddy will be pickin on a Fender telecaster, another buddy strummin power cords on a Fender, straticaster. We kinda have a hard rock with country aftertones type of feel. I will likely be doin some vocals as well as bass, so what bass has a clean crisp sound, that would go good with those 2 fendersthat is good for a newb!!!
    All suggestions appreciated. :bassist: :confused: :eek: :help:

2. NE body, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    good price bass to start on that would sound good with a couple of fenders!!!!!!! Country rock (more Rock though)!!!!!
    HELP!!!!!!!! :help: :help: :help:
    :bassist: :confused: :bassist:
    :help: :bassist: :help:
    :confused: :help: :confused:

3. I know someone has gotta have an opinion, I want to buy it Tommorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But I'm clueless, just inspired, lol!!!!
    Got some lyrics and some beats started, we need a bass, I am it, I need help, I don't want crap but I can't drop a grand either!!!! $300 US then I'll drop close to $200 more on an amp, sounds about right. Best HArd rock/ country 4 string bass guitar for a newb????????????????? playin with 2 Fender electrics!!!!!!!!!!!! Drums comin soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Help
    help
    :help:
    :confused: :bassist: :confused:
    :help: :bassist: :confused: :bassist: :help:
    :bassist: :help: :confused: :bassist: :confused: :bassist:

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    At around 300 bucks I think you are still sitting in the beginner quality price range if buying a new bass. Although there is nothing wrong with that, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade the bass sooner than you think. Basses like the Ibanez gsr 200 or Fender Squire are only a couple of inexpensive basses that come to mind.

If you are willing to add some extra cash, you give yourself alot more options. Ibanez sr series basses, Mexican made Fenders and Yamaha basses are but a few names that offer decent quality basses for around 300 to 400 bucks. I am sure my fellow TB ers will be able to suggest other decent quality basses in your budget range. Regarding your amp purchase, I would definitely get a minimum of a 100 watt amp if you want to jam with your bandmates. Even 100 watts won't make you the loudest guy in the room but at least you will hear yourself. That said I think you will have a tough time finding a new 100 watt amp for 200 bucks.

I would lean towards used equipment, providing you try the bass ( and amp) and like the sound and feel. For the budget you mentioned (500-600) you should be able to outfit yourself with some decent kit. There are many bass equipment review sites around that you may find helpful (www.harmonycentral.com, www.bgra.net). Don't rush your purchase....sometimes looking around for a better deal will save you money and much grief in the long run. Online auctions are full of great equipment for sale. Read the ads carefully and check the seller's feedback if you go this route.

I would definitely try as many basses within your budget range as possible before you buy. A higher priced bass does not always equate with better playability and sound. What seems great to me, might feel and sound awful to you. Hope this helps and let us know what you bought!

5. When you post at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning, you need to be a little patient before bumping the thread. Have you read the newbie links? They have tons of useful information. I'd check there first.

6. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Essex makes some decent "cheapo" basses. And you can change out the pickups later for a slight improvement in sound for a minimum of expense.

7. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    There's no right answer to your question, and there's no best answer. Your budget leads to a couple of options. You could buy a brand new starter pack, which might not be a bad idea. Then you get a little amp, etc. that you can use right away. Problem is that you might not have enough volume to get over your buds. A decent used axe (bass) is still going to run you a couple hundred bucks.

The Ibanez Soundwave (SW) series are nice little amps, they kick back, and you can jam and hear yourself while you play. We don't know what's available used in your area, but a Made in Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz might work if you can get a used one. The Squiers are crap, so a used one would be waaaay cheap. Even the new ones are extremely cheap.

Get out there and try stuff. You're new, so you really can't tell right now if you want short scale, long scale, standard... Do you want a maple, rosewood, etc.. fret board. Do you want active or passive circuitry. There are too many variables that can only be answered by you.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    One of the issues with a new player, like this guy seems to be, is that they can get out there and try stuff until the cows come home - but they may not be experienced enough to notice the differences, or yet know what they like and dislike. It's sort of a Catch 22 - you have to try a bass to know if you like it, but you have to know your way around a bass before you can tell the difference between basses.

This was the case with me. For my first, I simply grabbed the most affordable thing I could find, and learned on it. By the time I bought my *second*, try-before-you-buy was of value.

Only you can know if you get a lot from "test-driving" a bass. If you have an experienced player who is willing to help you, that'd be a great asset.

But if the answer is "not much", I'd probably suggest something inexpensive, something that you can re-sell later without losing much money if you don't care to keep it.

The stuff at www.rondomusic.net is one option. Another is here (heck of a deal with free shipping), but these won't last long:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511082/

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow that was an excellent find! A Yamaha BB bass for under 200 new is a steal.......

10. Just wait for the right bass to come to you :p

My first bass was my ibanez TR50 which i got for £50 in whats essentially a pawn shop :D

11. Have you ever played a guitar before? you sound kind of rushed into buying one just so you can jam. Anyways, I'd just go with the Ibanez Jumpstart pack. What kind of amps are the guitarists using? If it's more than 10 or 15 you are going to get lost in the mix. Not to mention the drummer. You'd actually have to get a nice 100 Watt Combo amp just to hold your own. But yea... The Ibanez Jumpstart pack is a good first pick. Good luck...

12. wildbill59

wildbill59

Feb 27, 2005
    This just a friendly statement to bonscottvocals (cool name, by the way),but opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one! I have a Squier P-bass. I slapped a set of Rotosounds on it, I play it thru an old Fender tube amp, and it sounds and plays great! No, it's not an American p-bass, but for the money, I sure wouldn't call it crap. So the lesson to pipes is to get down to a music store and find what plays well for you and your budget. What might be crap to one guy might be a pretty damn cool bass to someone else , got it?

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thought the BB models were P/J, the kind the dude from Mr. Mister played . . . ?

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Other budget instruments to consider besides Essex: Yamaha RBX170 (Yamahas are always consistently well made instruments), Ibanez GSR200 (Bass Player liked it), ESP/LTD B50 (ESP/LTD is reputed to have consistent quality control throughout its entire line.)

As far as cheap amps go, I'd say a Crate BT100 might be the way to go. It's $350 at Musician's Friend. For starter amps, they're good, and have kept many teenage guitarists and bassists in "business."

15. i dont know if it was said already but marshal dosnt make bass amps

16. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    Strange ... I thought its 10 years i own a marshall dbs7400 400w head and a 7410 4x10 800wcab that kick @ss

17. Im sure they do . . . or they used to at least

And to the guy who recons Squier P's are better than ibanez's, id have to disagree, i think the neck on the squiers is horrible, and they seem to fall appart very easily, aswell as with ibanez's you have a greater selection of lower-mid end basses, im not a big fan or the GSR's or SR's, but they play a hell of alot easier than a squier P, leave less splinters in your hand too :p

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to Marshall's website, they make some combo amps (a 30 watter, 65 watter, and a 150 watter.) I don't think they do the DBS stacks any more.

19. opps! my bad sorry about that

20. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy