1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New options for doubling

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jedonbass, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jedonbass

Jedonbass

Nov 5, 2017
    Hi. New member here. I've been lurking a long time and decided it's time to join!

I play a good number of musical theatre pit gigs, and I often double on bass guitar. For years I've run both upright DB and BG into an a-b switch and then to a Sansamp para-driver. The Sansamp handles the piezo and I use the volume knob on the BG to match levels. It works, but now there are many options.

EA makes a sweet doubler 2 channel amp, and there's a new Bassbone OD, or the V2, which also can handle the piezo impedance. Basically my questions are:

Is the Bassbone gonna be quieter? My Sansamp has a little hiss. Nothing terrible but it's there.

What are the advantages of a 2 channel amp. The EA is $$$ and a new pedal like the bassbone is a lot less. With the amp, you still have to buy a selector switch.

Thanks for the input.

2. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like the EA, but I don't love it. I'm convinced there must be something better...

3. Jedonbass

Jedonbass

Nov 5, 2017
    LOL. That's how I feel about my current rig, and it paid for itself many times over...

CuRios tho about your experience with a two channel amp as opposed to a pedal.

4. Grant the Canuk

Grant the Canuk Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    I love my EA Doubler. I'm using a Troll Mic with a Fethead into the XLR with the phantom power on, and an Upton rev solo into an AB pedal, then an active bass into the AB pedal . I have a slightly scooped eq on the 1/4 channel and I can get a nice slab tone + DB tone. It all comes out a CXL 112. Sometimes I have to do a tap dance to get the right input, but I never mess it up.

5. google "Radial PZ-PRE". I use mine all the time in situations not unlike yours.

grunter likes this.
  6. Jedonbass

Jedonbass

Nov 5, 2017
    So, you have 2 a-b switches, one to toggle the amp head and one to switch between the BG and the pickup?

7. Grant the Canuk

Grant the Canuk Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    Ya, I have a 2 pedal switch plugged into the head, gives mute and channel 1, 2 or 1+2. I use 1&2 - piezo on 2 and troll on 2. Great mic pickup blended tone. When I want to switch to a slab I go to channel 1 and hit the other ab to get a the slab in to the signal chain and the DB out. It works great.

8. Jedonbass

Jedonbass

Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks. That looks like the bassbone v2 in brown. I think that would do it all with one stomp switch. Is it quiet?

9. Yup. Great piece of gear. You can download the manual from the Radial website and read the features and specs. I rarely play a gig without it, whatever the style of music.

10. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    The Bassbone OD is quiet, and well suited for doubling.

cdavisshannon likes this.
  11. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Another EA fan here. I've got the gen II doubler and the pretty little brown NL 112. While I haven't played mine live yet, I've tested it out quite a bit and it will be fine for electric or upright. Lots of power in a very small rig and loud as hell up on a stand....high price is my only complaint about it but you get what you pay for.

12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Pedals... Hmm... The only thing I want is the Felix. It ain’t cheap, but it is supposed to be the best tone for the money. I need a pickup and the Remic for the tone, but in reality, I’m starting to find the Remic cumbersome. I want to try more stuff, but I really want something clean and helps to create a tone with body. I want to carry less gear, not more... I play gigs that, more often than not, I’d not miss playing... A good tone would make the upright experience more fun. If there’s a pedal out there that’s the bees knees for the upright bass I’m all for trying it out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I own the Doubler and the 2 channel AI Focus2, and they are both fantastic.

14. Welcome to TB Jedonbass.

The PZed-Pre is not simply a Bassbone V2 with a different paint splash. IMO, for your purposes, the PZed-Pre is probably a better fit than the BBV2.

In my limited theatre experience, I had to use a borrowed Sans Amp one night and I didn't notice any more hiss than my PZed-Pre — being a novice, I was probably more focused on trying to play well than listening for hiss.

PZed pre has been a reliable tank for many years of playing, had to tighten a jack-nut once, but that's it.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you can, would you please tell me what makes you use one or the other. I have similar options and go nuts sometimes trying to pick which to use for a gig.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  16. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For pit work (depending on the show) sometimes you might need more than two channels. Acoustic Image offers two channel amps with lots of power, upright friendly, and the ability to run let's say two Paradrivers into the effects return of both channels, in essence giving you up to four separate channels with separate tone and volume on each. Just throwing in more options.

17. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I keep it really simple with a single channel Clarus set flat and the double bass>Fishman Full Circle into the amp input.
    My Sadowsky bass guitar into the effects return with the effects return level to set the volume. The Clarus sounds great with an active bass like my Sadowsky. I set the volume of the upright first.

I use a Planet Waves circuit Breaker cable which has a mute switch. I use and mute it as needed when I switch instruments so I’m not adjusting the volume levels. For fast switching I use two Circuit Breaker cables, but if it’s between numbers I often use one as I find it easier to manage one cable and stop and potential tangles etc.

I’m all about keeping my rig simple and this works great for me. It’s is worth considering for those with a single channel amp.

Scott Lynch likes this.
  18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I pretty much did that with my Focus I head. I really miss that amp.

geoffbassist likes this.
  19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The focus stays in one location as the house amp. The Doubler goes with me elsewhere. The Doubler is a bit more compact and lighter and also sounds really good with bass guitar. Haven't used the Focus with BG yet although I'm sure it is fine.

Another difference is the mute button on the Doubler has an audible click (pop) and the Focus mute button is silent. Better for shows and such, but the Doubler has channel switching (comes in handy for doubling) and I don't think the Focus does.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  20. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    Hey I realize this is an older thread, but one that is very relevant for me right now. I'm also looking for a single amp that I can use for gigs in which I double DB & BG and also for those gigs in which I play either DB or BG. I play across many genres: straight ahead jazz, blues, R&B, indie rock, and some pit orchestra work. Currently I own a GK MB 150S-III, which I use on jazz gigs w/ DB; and an Ashdown MK500 into either an old Peavey 210 TX housed w/ Ampeg celestrion speakers or Ampeg SVT HLF 610 cab.

The GK won't cut it for any of the bands in which I play bass guitar. It's not loud enough and I can't stand the tone. It's ok for DB, but I'm not in love with it. The SVT 610 is huge and just not practical for me anymore as I'm not playing really loud rock anymore. I don't like the 210 cab w/ the Ashdown. That Ashdown really sounds great with the 610 cab and also sounds really great with a 410. Unfortunately the Ashdown stinks w/ DB. Fyi, I have a Realist Lifeline pickup on my DB (Shen 200 willow back). For BG I have Fender American JB and an old MusicMan Stingray.

I am looking at the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 or 350 to go with the 112 cab. I have plugged into a couple of those rigs and I did like what I heard (not sure if it was 500 or 350 driving the 112 cab). I am also looking at the EA Doubler and the EA Whizzy cab. I have never played through one of those amps or cabs.

My question(s): will the single 12" speaker be enough for situations in which I need more stage volume? I sometimes play outside w/ no PA (granted, the band isn't super loud), outside on large stages w/ PA, at various sized nightclubs--some with great PAs, others with minimal to no PA. I do also play in small restaurants where low level is required.

I'm a little behind the times with gear these days. I've never been a huge gear head in the first place, but the new amps seem to have quite a bit of volume w/ smaller speakers. I'd love to sell all of my amp gear (as much as I'd love to hang onto the Ashdown) and get something that will suffice for all purposes. Is that a reality -- is there a single amp that will work for all my gigs?

Thanks! :)