New or Old Rick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWizard45, Jun 10, 2001.

1. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    Well, I'm off on my quest to find the Geddy Lee sound.
    And for starters, I'd like to know what you all think.=

1. Buy a brand new Rickenbacker 4003. Which has a nifty little warranty, but sacrafice good ole 4001 tone.....

2. Buy an old Rickenbacker (any older one). But take my chances finacialy wise, but has good ole Rick tone (depending on quality of course).....

Please help me decide!!!!!!
  2. well, you could look into the geddy lee jazz bass. but that would just make too much sense. ;)
  3. Stig Jones

Stig Jones

Jun 10, 2001
    Great Yarmouth
    Go for the 4001. They`re yummy but damn heavy
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    the 4001 are heavy?? come old are you? honestly i think rick are everything but heavy, and i'm not a bodybuilding fanatic!
    rocs are NOT heavy, unbalanced for sure, but not heavy...
    i'd suggest you to buy one of the last 4001, 1979-1980 you could have tha classic rick sound and you could use roundwound string too without panic.
  5. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I have owned at least a dozen rics, the best sounding ones were the 4001s. No stereo and no binding. They had more balls. I have always been much better at playing bass with my fingers than with a pick. Rics just seem to sound better with a pick and roundwound strings. So I always go back to a Jazz. Although I love the look and feel of the Rics.
  6. Time to invoke this picture again!

Havin the right gear doesn't guarantee success in achieving the Geddy sound :)

Seriously, Geddy sounds like Geddy no matter what bass he plays. His attack and phrasing are what make his sound. He uses Rotosound Swing Bass strings on his Rick and his Jazz, and he has a fair amount of fingernail in his plucks...a technique I've been getting into lately to get more edge in my sound.

The Ric pictured there is this one:

Its my 4001V63. I agree with Congo that the 4001s are more robust in tone, and I like their look better. This is my third Rick and is THE best Rick I've ever heard or practically glows :)