Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new or old threads for faq questions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Feb 17, 2005.

1. old exisiting threads

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. new threads with a sample generic question where we all chime in

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. link to both types

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  4. this sticky is a stupid idea i'll either use the search or ask my question if i want to.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, after thinking some more on this topic of the link filled sticky proposal i'm at a loss. we have lots of great threads that already address specific topics, however the idea of having some fresh generic threads addressing common questions that would end up being linked in a sticky is appealing too. nothing stopping you from linking the older threads from these new ones either.

vote please - your ballot will be counted . :D

2. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I would go for the new generic threads - that way you can sort of guide them to have the focus you're looking for with the concept of a sticky thread in mind. Hopefully, they'd be less likely to trail off-topic.

Of course, if there's already a thread out there that has what you consider an excellent set of viewpoints on a topic, then it would be a waste to try to repeat it from scratch.

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. Hey ...I was thinking :(....maybe faq topics seperated by manufacturers, ie: Ampeg, Ashdown, Fender, SWR, GK, and of course my favorite Hartke :) Many times I wanted the opinions or facts here on one manufacturer and their products ..... and possibly the people using the same product could help each other with their own unique set of circumstances when dealing with that amp or cab.... instead of "My dad can whip your dad kind of thing" We are all here for the same reason so why not hook up with someone with simaler interests??

5. Pick the best threads out there and link to them, definitely. But for some topics that have been more sporadically covered, a new, in depth thread may be in order. A bit of both is the key.

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Maybe I'm swimming against the current a little here, but I like the General Instruction forum's approach to stickys. Links to existing threads as well as outside resources. New threads to be added to the stickys only when they reach the quality and stature to deserve it.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1 :cool:

8. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    instead of having a bunch of stickies, could you put a folder and have them be placed in the folder that way there isn't 4 billion stickies at the top
    Ivan, your doing a hellofa job

9. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    also, can we do something with the "behringer vs. morals" threads PLEASE!!!! :bawl:

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well that's my idea sort of. one sticky (hey, read the one sticky to rule them all sticky ;) ), and within that initial post of the sticky thread a bunch of links to various threads that address the topics in question.

oh, and thanks. :)

as far as product specific stuff goes i'm trying to get more players to post reviews of gear in the TB gear reviews section (see the other sticky). reviews posted as threads or within threads are great, but over time they get lost. a review in the TB review section is forever. and it doesnt matter how many other people have already reviewed the same product, postign your own just adds to the info, even if you're just echoing what someone else has already said.

11. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Very well, yeah, i read you sticky and maybe interprited it diffrently, but if there could be a sub-forum with links to specific "common" Q's that would help

Yeah, I have posted alot of products without any reviews, and it seemed that it inspiered people to write some reviews. I will try to do some more, it seems that people dont want/have the time to figure how to put up a nonlisted product and review, but if it is setup where all they have to do is post there review, then they will,
    I put up like 40 products in the cabs & amp section, and %99 have reviews. Like i said, i will be trying to put more up to inspire more reviews