Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New or used car

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, May 20, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    So my lease is up next February, but GM has an early lease turn-in special till the end of the month with no penalties. Only stipulation is to buy or lease a new car. Keep in mind, I have a 10 month old baby, and getting her in and out of my two door Blazer is a pain. Now to add to the mix, the singer in my band just started a used car lot, and can get me a 2-3 year old car at auction price, if I can wait till February. What to do, what to do?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    wait until Feb. why throw money away?

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    +1

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wait and pay cash for the car.... will be so mch nicer not to have that payment over you head.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    But right now at 2.13 a gallon, my SUV is definitely throwing money away :crying:

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    it's up to almost $2.50 a gallon (super)in NY... On Long Isl it's around $2.19-2.30! :crying:

and SUVs suck.... sorry Chris.

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Exactly, that's why I'm trying to decide if I should buy something new now, or used in February. I'm glad I decided to lease this instead of buying it.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Used.

Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What would you need to run super for? dufus the timing and run 87 instead.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Agreed. Cars are the worst investment you could ever make. They will always depreciate, and you just wind up trading them in after a few years, anyways. Brand new vehicles are overpriced, IMO. (except Kia's, in which you don't have to Donald Trump just to afford) I just don't see the logic is buying something that cost 1/3 of your house, (and that's not including insurance, maintence, and interest on the loan) when you are going to get get rid of it in 5 years.

11. Buy an old toyota. Good gas mileage and very reliable :) Cheap too!

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Leasing is a waste of money except in a few special cases. I know, I used to work in the industry and the whole point of the current lease agreements that car dealers use is to confuse the buyer and allow them ways to throw in extra things to raise the price. Buying either new or used is better than leasing but I'd say go with a late model used.

brad cook

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Also, I forgot to say, I've been looking to trade my car in on a small hatchback, or mini-van, but now everyone is probaly going to be trading in their SUVs for smaller vehicles, so that will be slimmer pickings for me. :(

14. Well...if he's leasing a blazer, it's probably pretty new. Timing changes aren't really possible very easily. Which is a good/bad thing.

My bikes all really need 91 octane (best we get outta pump gas here). I don't wanna dufus timing on a high strung 600cc 4. Factory specs work really well here :)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bingo.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

You've obviously never been to The Chicken Ranch.

17. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If his Blazer requires 91, theres a problem. Most newer cars/trucks are designed around 87 octane (with Cadillac's being the notable exception). Your bikes probably get decent gas mileage, so I wouldnt have a problem with leaving well enough alone and running the good stuff.

I was running 91 in my 454 powered K20 (Engine has a rather high 9.75 : 1 compression ratio) and getting a whopping 7 mpg. I backed down the timing, and started running 87 instead. Imo the truck didnt seem to run any worse (this is a 6500 lb slob with a snowplow, not a racetruck), and my mileage went from 7 to 9 mpg.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    So, what would say to do with my car, straight six BMW M-50 engine, marked everywhere with PREMIUM ONLY factory claims it set to run best (ie, most performance) and it needs the premium run correctly. I've also heard a lot (by that I mean read in magazines and on bimmerforums) that carbon build up is a problem with lower octane high tolerance engines. Is that true?

19. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If your car is marked "Premium only" than that's what you're gonna have to run. Your engine probably has high compression and a fairly aggressive camshaft, so cylinder pressures will be fairly high, and that requires a high octane fuel.

I dont know much about BMW's (we see maybe 3 a year in the shop), so I cant comment on the carbon buildup issues. And having never played with one performance wise, I'm not sure what does/doesn't work with them. If you want to try to get away with a lower octane fuel, try posing that question on a BMW forum to see if it can be done.

20. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!

you know. . . i really like leasing. i get a new car every three years, i'm gonna be making a car payment for the rest of my life anyway, and i also dont have to deal with maintenence probs. well, i should knock on wood. my discovery has been runnin weird. probably cause i switched her from premium to reg, cause i cant afford it now! that would happen to me. . .