New or Used????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I am in the proces of getting a new bass and I wanted to here some people's knowledge and opinions of whethe it would be smarter to go used or new.I am considering either a warwick or musicman. What are the disadvantages of buying used and please tell me any cites where I can find used basses.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The disadvantage of buying used is that the instrument might be in need of repairs. and will look less that perfect. The advantage is you can get a better instrument than a new one for the same amount of money.

Some cities where used basses can be found:

San Francisco, CA
    New York, NY
    Tampa, FL
    Madison, WI
    Atlanta, GA
    Djakarta, Indonesia
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Florence, Italy
    Tokyo, Japan
    Poughkeepsie, IL
    Frankfort, KY
    Birmingham, AL
    London, U.K.
    Dublin, Ireland

All these cities have at least one store that has at least one used bass for sale. I'd be less vague, except you haven't given us a clue regarding your location. (Ireland?)
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings is an excellent site IMO. There's no frills, it's just a great, free place to sell gear and a great place to find it.

Most of my gear was purchased used and if you do it right you can come out way ahead. I've had pretty good luck. Here's an analogy: what would you rather buy, a $1000 new bass (that will immediately drop in value)or a $3000 (retail) used bass in excellent condition... for maybe $300 more?

You are responsible for protecting yourself in a used transaction. If you really don't know what you're supposed to be getting, you either need to have access to someone you trust who does or you could be setting yourself up for failure. If you don't truly know the market you're dealing with, the same is true. Most people in my experience are on the up and up but that's moot if you hook up with one of the weasels.

Buying on the web? Find out as much info as possible. I get phone numbers and actually talk to people before I send them money. I've had one person initially balk at that, which raised the question: were they worried about me abusing that info... or worried about me finding them after the sale?

I also determine up front what will happen if I have a problem. Payment with a credit card can be helpful. Get tracking nuimbers for shipment. Basically most of this is common sense, just think... "what would I liked to have known "before" I got screwed?"

You can get great deals used but it can also be more work and higher risk. Buying new gets you something new, usually with a warranty. Some things are not available used. In either case DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING. That is extremely important. It's true that the only stupid question is the one not asked. Good luck.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I myself prefer to buy my gear new. For one, I like knowing that Im the only one to ever molest the gear. This way I know exactly what kind of use it has on it. Second and more importantly, I prefer new gear because it comes with a warranty.

There are some advantages to used gear that you wont find in new.

Such as the wood (necks) on used basses is usually settled in
    New Basses, the wood (neck) is still adjusting and doing its thing. (Sorry I cant give a better explaination, but hopefully youll know what I mean)

Prices are often less expensive on used gear than on new.
  5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good points, Cass. Just wanted to add..

-You can end up with new gear that has been previously molested. Depends on whether it's been on the sales floor or not.

-You can get used gear with a warranty. Depends on how old it is, whether or not the warranty is transferrable, etc.
  6. Used:

A few nicks here and there are just character, as far as I'm concerned. And a nick on the back? Who cares? Noone sees it but you. IMO, of course.

Frets can be worn down.

Neck can be warped.

Knobs can be loose.

Electronics can be in need of maintainence(sp?).

Tuning pegs can be worn/sticky.

Screws can be stripped (bridge, truss rod cover, pickguard, etc...)

Case? Truss rod wrench? Bridge adjustment wrench? Warranty/return policy?

Warranty/Return Policy.

Your hands will determine its future.

Perfect condition.

Everything turns like it is supposed to. And if it doesn't? Warranty.

Salesperson will do a little more to sell you the instrument - a free setup, free set of strings, free strap...milk 'em for anything you can get. This is possible because:

Cost is higher.

Plus what everyone else said/will say. :)
  7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    sooo... you've played a new Fender;)
  8. LOL.

Yeah, and I bought it, too.